The GNSO is one of several policy development and advisory organizations that make up the ICANN Multi-stakeholder model. There are three ICANN supporting organizations –
- Generic Names Supporting Organization
- Address Supporting Organization and
- Country Code Names Supporting Organization
Each “SO” has the capability to elect two members to the ICANN Board.
There are four ICANN advisory committees (“ACs”) --
- At-Large Advisory Committee
- Governmental Advisory Committee
- Root Server System Advisory Committee
- Security and Stability Advisory Committee
Each “AC” can elect someone to sit on the Board.
Two Board seats are represented by the Technical Liaison Group and the Internet Engineering Task Force. In addition to the President and CEO of ICANN, eight other seats are filled by appointees from the Nominating Committee. The total number of seats on the ICANN Board currently stands at twenty-one.