PDP Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Policy Development Process
Please note that the documents linked below related to the PDP are provided for informational purposes. Some documents are produced by the GNSO and others are not. To learn about the materials on the Active Project pages, please see this overview.
As its meeting on 17 October 2012, the GNSO Council requested an Issue Report on the following issues:
- Whether it is desirable to translate contact information to a single common language or transliterate contact information to a single common script.
- Who should decide who would bear the burden translating contact information to a single common language or transliterating contact information to a single common script
- Whether to start a PDP on address these questions.
A final issue report was published on 21 March 2013, on 13 June 2013 the GNSO resolved to initiated a PDP and on 19 June a Call for Volunteers to form a Charter Drafting Team was issued.
- Email Archive (from 21 February 2017) – http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg/
- Email Archive (until 21 February 2017) – http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg/
Responsible Staff Members:
- Julie Hedlund
- Lars Hoffmann
Working Group Members & Leadership and GNSO Liaison
- See wiki membership page
For the latest information and status on this project:
- See project list
GNSO Council Request for Preliminary Issue Report:
Adopted on: 17 October 2012
Preliminary Issue Report:
Submitted on: 08 January 2013
- Preliminary Issue Report – http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/gtlds/transliteration-contact-prelim-07jan13-en.pdf
- Public Comment
Final Issue Report:
Submitted on: 21 March 2013
- Final Issue Report – http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/gtlds/transliteration-contact-final-21mar13-en.pdf
GNSO Resolution on the Initiation of the PDP:
The GNSO initiates a PDP on the issues defined in the Final Issue Report (see http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/gtlds/transliteration-contact-final-21mar13-en.pdf) on the translation and transliteration of contact information;
A Working Group will be created for the purpose of fulfilling the requirements of the PDP.
The GNSO requests staff to commission a study on the commercial feasibility of translation or transliteration systems for internationalized contact data, which is expected to help inform the PDP Working Group in its deliberations.
Working Group Charter:
Submitted on: 6 November 2013
Input from Supporting Organizations/Advisory Committees and GNSO Stakeholder Groups/Constituencies:
Working Group Initial Report:
Submitted on: 15 December 2014
- Initial Report
- Résumé exécutif
- Resumen Ejecutivo
- Сводное резюме
- ملخص تنفيذي
- Sumário executivo
- Public Comment
Working Group Proposed Final Report:
- Public Comment:
Working Group Final Report:
Submitted on: 12 June 2015
GNSO Adoption of the Final Report:
Adopted on: 24 June 2015
Summary: The GNSO Council recommends to the ICANN Board of Directors the adoption of the recommendations (#1 through #7) as detailed in the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Final Report.
- Link to Resolution: http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#20150624-3
GNSO Council Report to the ICANN Board:
Public Comment Prior to ICANN Board Consideration:
Submitted on: 29 June - 10 August 2015
Notification by the ICANN Board to the GAC to Request Input on Whether Policy Recommendations Raise Public Policy Issues:
Submitted on: 2 July 2015
ICANN Board Resolution Text:
Summary: Resolved (2015.09.28.02), the Board adopts the GNSO Council Policy Recommendations concerning the translation and transliteration of contact information as presented in the Final Report.
Notice of Policy Actions:
Adopted on: 28 September 2015