PDP Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Policy Development Process
As its meeting on 17 October 2012, the GNSO Council requested an Issue Report on the following issues:
- Whether it is desirable to translate contact information to a single common language or transliterate contact information to a single common script.
- Who should decide who would bear the burden translating contact information to a single common language or transliterating contact information to a single common script
- Whether to start a PDP on address these questions.
A final issue report was published on 21 March 2013, on 13 June 2013 the GNSO resolved to initiated a PDP and on 19 June a Call for Volunteers to form a Charter Drafting Team was issued.
- Email Archive (from 21 February 2017) – http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg/
- Email Archive (until 21 February 2017) – http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg/
Responsible Staff Members:
- Julie Hedlund
- Lars Hoffmann
Preliminary Issue Report:
Submitted on: 08 January 2013
- Preliminary Issue Report – http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/gtlds/transliteration-contact-prelim-07jan13-en.pdf
- Public Comment
Final Issue Report:
Submitted on: 21 March 2013
- Final Issue Report – http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/gtlds/transliteration-contact-final-21mar13-en.pdf
GNSO Resolution on the Initiation of the PDP:
The GNSO initiates a PDP on the issues defined in the Final Issue Report (see http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/gtlds/transliteration-contact-final-21mar13-en.pdf) on the translation and transliteration of contact information;
A Working Group will be created for the purpose of fulfilling the requirements of the PDP.
The GNSO requests staff to commission a study on the commercial feasibility of translation or transliteration systems for internationalized contact data, which is expected to help inform the PDP Working Group in its deliberations.
Working Group Charter:
Submitted on: 6 November 2013
Working Group Initial Report:
Submitted on: 15 December 2014
- Initial Report
- Résumé exécutif
- Resumen Ejecutivo
- Сводное резюме
- ملخص تنفيذي
- Sumário executivo
- Public Comment
Working Group Proposed Final Report:
- Public Comment:
Working Group Final Report:
Submitted on: 12 June 2015
GNSO Adoption of the Final Report:
Adopted on: 24 June 2015
Summary: The GNSO Council recommends to the ICANN Board of Directors the adoption of the recommendations (#1 through #7) as detailed in the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Final Report.
- Link to Resolution: http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#20150624-3
Public Comment Prior to ICANN Board Consideration:
Submitted on: 29 June - 10 August 2015
ICANN Board Resolution Text:
Summary: Resolved (2015.09.28.02), the Board adopts the GNSO Council Policy Recommendations concerning the translation and transliteration of contact information as presented in the Final Report.