Cross Community Working Group on the Use of Country and Territory Names as top-level domains
The objective of the Working group is to draw upon the collective expertise of the participating SOs and ACs and others, and based on the initial analysis of the ccNSO Study Group on the uSe of names for Countries and territories as TLDs, further review the current status of representations of country and territory names, as they exist under current ICANN policies, guidelines and procedures. Secondly, provide advice regarding the feasibility of developing a consistent and uniform definitional framework that could be applicable across the respective SO's and AC's; and should such a framework be deemed feasible, provide detailed advice as to the content of the framework. The scope of the WG is limited to:
- Representations of names of Countries, Territories and their subdivisions listed on or eligible to be listed on the Alpha-2 code International Standard for country codes and codes for their subdivisions (ISO 3166-1), (Names of Country and Territory). Other geographical indicators, such as regions, are excluded;
- The use of Country and Territory names as Top Level Domains. The use of Country and Territory names as second or other level is excluded.
Responsible Staff Members:
- Bart Boswinkel
- Joke Braeken
- Emily Barabas
- Steve Chan
This CWG flows from the Final Report [PDF] of the ccNSO Study Group on the Use of Names for Countries and Territories as TLDs.
GNSO Council adoption of the Charter
Working Group Initial Report:
Submitted on: 24 February 2017
Working Group Final Report:
Submitted on: 25 June 2017
GNSO Adoption of the Final Report:
Adopted on: 20 September 2017
- The GNSO Council adopts Recommendations 1, 2 and 4 of the Final Report of the Cross-Community Working Group Framework for the Use of Country and Territory names as TLDs.
- The GNSO Council adopts the underlying objective of Recommendation 3, and in particular supports Recommendation 3 Alternative A, recognizing that the use of geographic names as gTLDs is clearly within the GNSO's mandate as per ICANN's Bylaws, and also recognizing that this is a matter of interest for the ICANN community as a whole.
- The GNSO Council instructs the leadership of the Subsequent Procedures PDP to consider the Final Report of the Cross-Community Working Group Framework for the Use of Country and Territory names as TLDs, and to ensure continued collaboration with other parts of the ICANN community in addressing issues relating to the use of geographic names.
- The GNSO Council recognizes the significant contribution of the CWG UCTN to the ongoing development of policy on the use of geographic names in the DNS, and thanks the members of the CWG UCTN for their Final Report, which clearly documents the history and context of policy-making in relation to geographic names.
- The GNSO Council instructs the GNSO Secretariat to communicate these resolutions to the ccNSO Council, as co-chartering organization of the CWG UCTN, as soon as possible.
(see https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#201709 for further details)
Public Comment Prior to ICANN Board Consideration:
ICANN Board Resolution Text: