WHOIS Task Force 1 Teleconference January 27, 2004 - Minutes
GNSO Constituency representatives:
Wendy Seltzer proposed sending additional non marketing contacts.
Survey questionnaire commented on during meeting:
Questions 1) ICANN-Accredited Registrars and gTLD Registries make Whois information available through multiple query-based mechanisms, including web-based interfaces and a special network protocol informally referred to as "port-43 Whois."
2) Are you getting this information directly from an ICANN-Accredited Registrar [Provide a link] or gTLD Registry [Provide a link]?
3) Do you routinely disseminate the obtained Whois information to third parties (Yes/No/don't know)?
4) Approximately how many Whois queries/lookups do you perform on average per day?
5) Do you store the Whois information?
6) Please indicate the general purposes of your use of Whois data (you may select more than one item - choose as many that apply)
7) Please provide a brief justification of your use, if any, of query-based Whois services.
8) If you currently use Port 43 to access WHOIS information, and such access were not available in the future, would you be able to use any other source for such data?
9) What is the most important factor driving your access to Whois data as you currently use it? your access to WHOIS data. (Although each answer may be applicable to you or your organization, please select only the most relevant answer below):
In order to ensure that your responses are considered by the Task Force, please respond to this questionnaire by no later than February 10, 2004.
Question 7 --discussed the word "justification" in the context of question 9 but believed the same arguments relating to its use apply to question 7 and proposed not using it.
In response to Milton's concern, it was proposed asking what other sources they would use and include a none of the above response.
Question 9, concerns were expressed about deleting option (c) as proposed by Milton Mueller. Respondents were asked to explain their answer so if they choose option c., it was hoped to solicit a rationale which would help understand the views of whois data users.
If you were to use such alternate sources what do you believe would be the effect on you or your organization.
David Fares continued commenting on the Introductory Paragraph 2, last sentence and proposed a redraft as follows: "The GNSO's role is to help to promote the development of recommendations related to the management of gTLDs domain name policy and encourage . .
Barbara Roseman suggested categorizing respondents and Jeff Neuman suggested leaving the categories to the end when the data was collected.
A new paragraph at the end was suggested, reading as follows:
Discussion followed on:
The return address: email@example.com. would be included in the document
The format used should be regular simple text in the emails.
Next Meeting: February 3, Needs and juqstification chart;
Jeff Neuman thanked everyone for their presence and participation and ended the call at 16:30 UTC.
Next call: Tuesday 3 February 2004, 16:00 UTC, 11:00 EST, 8:00 Los Angeles, 17:00 CET.