GNSO Council Teleconference Minutes 23 November 2009

Last Updated: 10 December 2009
Date: 
23 November 2009

Proposed agenda and documents

List of attendees:

Andrei Kolesnikov NCA – Non Voting

Contracted Parties House

Registrar Stakeholder Group: Adrian Kinderis, Stéphane van Gelder

Absent: Tim Ruiz

gTLD Registries Stakeholder Group: Chuck Gomes, Caroline Greer, Edmon Chung

Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA): Terry Davis

Non-Contracted Parties House

Commercial Stakeholder Group (CSG): Zahid Jamil, Kristina Rosette, David Taylor, Wolf-Ulrich Knoben.

Absent with apologies: Mike Rodenbaugh, Jaime Wagner

Non Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG): Rafik Dammak, William Drake, Debra Hughes, Rosemary Sinclair.

Absent with apologies: Wendy Seltzer, Mary Wong.

Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA): Olga Cavalli

GNSO Council Liaisons/Observers
Alan Greenberg – ALAC Liaison
Han Chuan Lee – ccNSO Observer

ICANN Staff
Denise Michel - Vice President, Policy Development
Liz Gasster - Senior Policy Counselor, ICANN Policy Support
Margie Milam - Senior Policy Counselor
Marika Konings - Policy Director
Julie Hedlund - Policy Director
Rob Hoggarth - Senior Policy Director
Glen de Saint Géry - GNSO Secretariat

For detailed information of the meeting, please refer to:

Item 1: Administrative Items

1.2 Chuck Gomes welcomed Caroline Greer and David Taylor to their first Council meeting.

1.3 Update any Statements of Interest

Caroline Greer submitted a statement of interest.

1.4 Review/amend the agenda

  • Under "any other business" Edmon Chung requested to comment on the IDNG Group

Item 2: Review of changes and action items in the new Operating Procedures

Chuck Gomes highlighted sections in the new Council Operating Procedures that differ slightly from the previous ones and impact the Council's operations going forward.

2.1. Section 3.3 Notice of Meetings

  • 2.1.1. “Reports and motions should be submitted to the GNSO Council for inclusion on the agenda as soon as possible, but no later than 8 business days before the GNSO Council meeting.”

2.2. Section 3.4 Meeting Schedules

2.3. Section 3.5 Procedure to Produce the Minutes

  • 2.3.1. “Within 10 days of the meeting, the Chair and Vice Chairs will edit the draft and request the Secretariat to circulate the draft summary to GNSO Council members for comment and approval. All comments received will be accepted for inclusion into the draft minutes unless there are objections. If no objections are received within 10 days, the minutes will be deemed to have been approved for posting.”
  • 2.3.2. Note that we no longer will need to approve minutes in our live meeting but each Councilor will individually be responsible for reviewing and commenting on the minutes.

Item 3: Motion to approve minor edits to Council Operating Procedures

A Motion To Approve Clarifying Edits to GNSO Operating Procedures was proposed by Chuck Gomes and seconded by Wolf-Ulrich Knoben.

Whereas the GNSO Council approved its new GNSO Operating Procedures during its 28 October 2009 meeting in Seoul;

Whereas the GNSO Council Operations Work Team Chair advised Council members in Seoul of the need to incorporate a number of clarifying edits to the procedures that were not included in the final draft of the procedures adopted by the Council;

Whereas the edits are intended to simply clarify the original procedural language recommended by the Work Team;

Whereas the Work Team has been directed by the Council to continue its work on a second phase of substantive Council procedural recommendations including a further examination of the provisions for voting abstentions;

RESOLVED, the Council accepts the clarifying edits forwarded by the Work Team

http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/gnso-operating-procedures-redline-12nov09-en.pdf

and looks forward to the subsequent substantive procedural recommendations to be developed by the Work Team. Staff is directed to share the edited procedures with the Board and post both clean and red-lined versions of the procedures on the GNSO Web Page.

The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.

Absent from voting:
Tim Ruiz RrSG, Mike Rodenbaugh, Jaime Wagner (CSG) Mary Wong and Wendy Seltzer (NCSG)

Item 4: Council meeting times through March 2010

A Motion to adopt a rotation system for Council meeting times was proposed by Stéphane Van Gelder and seconded by Chuck Gomes.

Whereas the GNSO Council is a body comprised of 22 members who reside in all regions of the globe.

Whereas the GNSO Council has regular teleconference meetings which require all members who are available to connect at the same time.

Whereas the geographic diversity of the Council members makes it impossible to set a teleconference time that is during normal working hours for all involved.

Whereas at its October 29, 2009 meeting, the Council discussed the issue of teleconference times.

Whereas Edmon Chung, Han Chuan Lee and Adrian Kinderis all volunteered to work on proposals for meeting times, and Stéphane Van Gelder volunteered to chair the group.

Whereas the group proposed four different time options and suggested that a rotation be introduced between the 3 most convenient time options.

Whereas further discussion within the Council made it clear that there was preference for a rotation to be introduced between options 2, 3 and 4.

RESOLVED:

The GNSO Council will rotate its teleconference meeting times between UTC 11:00, UTC 15:00 and UTC 20:00, starting with the November 23, 2009 meeting scheduled at 11:00 UTC.

The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.

Absent from voting:
Tim Ruiz RrSG, Mike Rodenbaugh, Jaime Wagner (CSG) Mary Wong and Wendy Seltzer (NCSG)

Item 5: 12-month meeting schedule

The Council approved the proposed dates for a 12-month Council meeting schedule as required in the new Council Operating Procedures.

These dates are posted on the GNSO Calendar.

The dates may be revised if the Council decides to change from a three week to some other frequency of Council meetings.

Item 6: Special Trademark Issues (STI) Review Team

Zahid Jamil gave an update on the Special Trademark Issues Review Team's work.

Ideally a motion should be made by 7 December 2009 for the Council to consider at its meeting on 17 December 2009.
Each Stakeholder group is represented on the Special Trademark Issues (STI) Working Group and Council members are encouraged to keep their respective groups apprised of the discussions so that each stakeholder group can provide a position for the Board to make the final decision. Consensus by the group will enhance the bottom up process. It is up to the Board to determine whether it is appropriate to change the deadline but Denise Michel communicated that she believed that a limited extension might be acceptable.

The STI working group is encouraged to indicate the level of agreement reached on the different aspects of the work.

It was clarified, that in line with the letter from the Board to the GNSO, the staff proposal is not optimal; the Board will consider the STI review team proposals even if they do not have full consensus on all the points.

Staff committed to inform the Council with regard to a public comment period on any final recommendations that the Board approves. Council was reminded that there is currently a public comment period open regarding the ICANN staff proposal on Proposed Rights Protection Mechanisms in New gTLDs:
http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/public-comment-200911.html#prpm-new-gtlds

Item 7: Prioritization of GNSO work

The subgroup of volunteers led by Olga Cavalli has been working via email and will hold their first teleconference call on Monday, 23 November 2009.

Item 8: Status updates

Please refer to the status updates in this link.
http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/notes-council-teleconference-23nov09-en.htm

8.1. Issues report on vertical separation of Registries & Registrars

There were no objections to a Staff request that the Issues report due date be extended from 23 November to 4 December 2009.

Item 9: Any Other Business

9.1 Edmon Chung - IDN Group (IDNG)

Edmon Chung noted renewed interest in IDN gTLDs and suggested that the informal Internationalized Domain Name Group (IDNG) formalise their efforts and agree on a way forward.

Edmon Chung volunteered to draft a proposal and invited interested parties to join the IDNG group.

Chuck Gomes adjourned the GNSO Council meeting and thanked everyone for their participation. The meeting ended at 12:50 UTC.

Next GNSO Council meeting will be on 17 December 2009 at 15:00 UTC.
See: Calendar