Minutes of the GNSO Council Meeting 21 January 2016
Coordinated Universal Time: 21:00 UTC
13:00 Los Angeles; 16:00 Washington; 21:00 London; 23:00 Istanbul; 08:00 Hobart Friday 22 January
The meeting started at: 21:02 UTC
List of attendees:
NCA – Non Voting – Carlos Raúl Gutierrez
Contracted Parties House
Registrar Stakeholder Group: James Bladel, Jennifer Standiford, Volker Greimann – absent, apologies proxy to Jennifer Standiford
gTLD Registries Stakeholder Group: Donna Austin, Keith Drazek, Rubens Kühl
Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA): Hsu Phen Valerie Tan
Non-Contracted Parties House
Commercial Stakeholder Group (CSG);Philip Corwin, Susan Kawaguchi, Wolf-Ulrich Knoben, Tony Harris - absent, apologies proxy to Wolf-Ulrich Knoben, Paul McGrady, Heather Forrest
Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG): Amr Elsadr, Stephanie Perrin, David Cake, Stefania Milan, Edward Morris, Marilia Maciel
Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA): Julf (Johan) Helsingius
GNSO Council Liaisons/Observers:
Olivier Crèpin LeBlond– ALAC Liaison
Patrick Myles - ccNSO Observer - absent
Mason Cole – GNSO liaison to the GAC
David Olive - VP Policy Development
Marika Konings - Senior Policy Director
Rob Hoggarth - Senior Policy Director
Mary Wong – Senior Policy Director
Julie Hedlund – Policy Director
Steve Chan - Sr. Policy Manager
Berry Cobb – Policy consultant
Lars Hoffmann – Policy Analyst
Glen de Saint Géry - GNSO Secretariat
Nathalie Peregrine - Specialist, SO/AC Support (GNSO)
Josh Baulch - Manager, Meetings Technical Services
Item 1: Administrative matters
1.1 – Roll call
1.2 – Updates to Statements of Interest
1.3 – Review/amend agenda.
Note Item 6: Vote on motion: Initiation of Policy Development Process (PDP) to review all RPMs in all gTLDs withdrawn.
1.4 – Note the status of minutes for the previous Council meetings per the GNSO Operating Procedures:
Draft Minutes of the Special Meeting of the GNSO Council on 14 January 2016 will be posted as approved on 27 January 2016
Item 2: Opening Remarks / Review of Projects & Action List
- Outstanding item: Some of the IGO/INGO PDP recommendations - awaiting ICANN Board and GAC responses.
- Public Interest will be a topic on Monday in Marrakech
- Ex-Council members on the action list will be replaced with current councilors.
James Bladel and David Cake to reach out to IETF members with the view to a possible meeting in Marrakesh and a discussion as to how the two groups can stay coordinated going forward. Report back next Council meeting.
Item 3: Consent agenda
No items on the consent agenda
Item 4: VOTE ON MOTION – Adoption of Final Report from the Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues PDP Working Group
James Bladel, seconded by Amr Elsadr proposed a motion to adopt the Final Report from the Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Policy Development Process Working Group
- On 31 October 2013, the GNSO Council chartered a Working Group for a Policy Development Process (PDP) on Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation Issues (PPSAI) [see http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#201310] and tasked the Working Group to develop policy recommendations to guide ICANN's implementation of an accreditation program for privacy and proxy service providers;
- This PDP has followed the prescribed PDP steps as stated in the Bylaws, resulting in a Final Report delivered to the GNSO Council on 7 December 2015 (see http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/raa/ppsai-final-07dec15-en.pdf);
- The PPSAI PDP Working Group has reached Full Consensus (as described in the GNSO Working Group Guidelines) on all the recommendations in the Final Report; and
- The GNSO Council has reviewed and discussed these recommendations.
- The GNSO Council adopts, and recommends that the ICANN Board of Directors adopt, all the PPSAI PDP Working Group's final recommendations in the Final Report (see http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/raa/ppsai-final-07dec15-en.pdf).
- Should the PDP recommendations be adopted by the ICANN Board, the GNSO Council directs ICANN staff to convene a Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation Implementation Review Team. The Implementation Review Team will be tasked with assisting ICANN staff in developing the implementation details for the PDP recommendations, evaluating the proposed implementation of the recommendations as approved by the Board, and working with ICANN staff to ensure that the resultant implementation conforms to the intent of the approved recommendations. The Implementation Review Team shall operate in accordance with the Implementation Review Team Principles and Guidance approved by the GNSO Council in June 2015.
- The GNSO Council requests that, following the adoption by the ICANN Board of the PDP recommendations, ICANN staff issue a call for volunteers for the Implementation Review Team, to be circulated at a minimum to the members of PPSAI PDP Working Group.
The motion carried unanimously.
- In accordance with the ICANN Bylaws, staff to prepare a Recommendations Report from the Council to the Board.
- Proposed policies will be posted for public comment prior to Board action, since these Policy Development Process recommendations constitute "policies that are being considered by the Board for adoption that substantially affect the operation of the Internet or third parties, including the imposition of any fees or charges" (per Section 6 of the ICANN Bylaws).
- ICANN Staff to issue a call for volunteers for the Implementation Review Team, to be circulated at a minimum to the members of PPSAI PDP Working Group.
Item 5: VOTE ON MOTION – Charter for Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group on New gTLDs Subsequent Procedures
After a lengthy discussion there was general approval that as long as it was understood that this policy development procedure would address the top level objection process and the anticipated motion to initiate a Policy Development Process (PDP) to review all rights protection mechanisms (RPMs) in all gTLDs would address the second level RPM's a friendly amendment could be accepted and as such resulted in adding a fourth resolved clause:
- Issues relating to RPMs not addressed by the anticipated RPM PDP shall be addressed by this PDP
Donna Austin, seconded by Valerie Tan proposed a motion as amended to approve a charter for the policy development process (PDP) working group on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures
- The GNSO Council has resolved http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#201512 to undertake a GNSO policy development process (PDP) to consider and analyze issues discussed in the Final Issue Report on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures to determine whether changes or adjustments to the existing policy recommendations in the Final Report on the Introduction of New Generic Top-Level Domains are needed; and,
- The GNSO Council has reviewed the draft Working Group Charter embedded in Annex A to the Final Issue Report which was delivered to the GNSO Council on 4 December 2015 and agreed to amend the draft charter to address concerns of potential overlap or duplication with an anticipated PDP on Rights Protection Mechanisms. The final version is available here: http://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/new-gtld-subsequent-procedures-charter-12jan16-en.pdf.
- The GNSO Council approves the Charter and appoints Paul McGrady as the GNSO Council liaison to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Working Group (WG);
- The GNSO Council directs ICANN staff to issue a call for volunteers for the PDP WG no later than seven days after the approval of this motion; and
- Until such time as the WG selects a chair for the WG and that chair is confirmed by the GNSO Council, the GNSO Council liaison to the WG shall serve as the interim chair.
- Issues relating to RPMs not addressed by the anticipated RPM PDP shall be addressed by this PDP.
The motion carried unanimously.
- ICANN staff to issue a call for volunteers for the PDP WG no later than seven days after the approval of this motion;
- The GNSO Council liaison to the Working Group, Paul McGrady, shall serve as the interim chair
Item 6: Vote on motion: Initiation of Policy Development Process (PDP) to review all RPMs in all gTLDs
Amr Elsadr formally withdrew the motion
Amr Elsadr stated that at the time of submitting the motion to meet the motion deadline he had not yet read the Final Issue Report. However since reading the final issue report, and in consultation with the Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group, more work needs to be done on the Issue Report and the draft charter before they should be considered by the Council for a formal vote.
It is noted that the motion is withdrawn and not deferred.
Item 7: Vote on motion – Cross-Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability
Councillors discussed and commented on the draft letter and the Summary of GNSO Level of Support and Comments for each of the CCWG-Accountability's Recommendations in its Third Draft Proposal.
James Bladel formally withdrew the motion.
Council was supportive of proceeding with the letter and the table without a formal motion.
James Bladel thanked the Council, members of the sub-team and Policy Staff for their work on the GNSO's consolidated response to co-chairs Cross-Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability on the Third Draft Proposal.
James Bladel noted in conclusion that a Final/Supplemental report could be expected from the CCWG on Accountability in a compressed timeframe which would most probably be a binary report and urged councilors to prepare their stakeholder groups and constituencies that the report may require a short turn-around and that the Council is going to have to take a formal position on the recommendations.
- Circulate a clean copy of the letter and the table with a strong predisposition that it would be a final review, to the council mailing list for 24 hours, Friday 22 January 23:00UTC for final comments.
- Send the approved documents to the co-chairs of the CCWG on Accountability on behalf of the Council chair and vice chairs as the consolidated response to the Third Draft Proposal from the GNSO.
Item 8: UPDATE & Discussion – Marrakesh Meeting Planning
Susan Kawaguchi and Amr Elsadr are working on the schedule and will circulate updates or draft plans to the council mailing list before the next Council call.
Item 9: Any Other Business
There was no other business.
James Bladel adjourned the GNSO Council meeting and thanked everyone for their participation.
The meeting was adjourned at 23:01 UTC.
The next GNSO Council Teleconference will take place on Thursday, 18 February 2016 at 12:00 UTC.
For other places see: