Coordinated Universal Time: 12:00 UTC
05:00 Los Angeles; 08:00 Washington; 13:00 London; 15:00 Istanbul; 23:00 Hobart
List of attendees:
NCA – Non Voting – Carlos Raúl Gutierrez
Contracted Parties House
Registrar Stakeholder Group: James Bladel, Volker Greimann, Darcy Southwell
gTLD Registries Stakeholder Group:
Donna Austin, Keith Drazek, Rubens Kühl
Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA):
Hsu Phen Valerie Tan
Non-Contracted Parties House
Commercial Stakeholder Group (CSG);
Philip Corwin, Susan Kawaguchi, Wolf-Ulrich Knoben, Tony Harris absent proxy Wolf-Ulrich Knoben, Paul McGrady, Heather Forrest
Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG): Amr Elsadr, Stephanie Perrin, David Cake, Stefania Milan, Marilia Maciel, Edward Morris absent proxy Marilia Maciel
Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA):
Julf (Johan) Helsingius
NCA – Non Voting –
Carlos Raúl Gutierrez
GNSO Council Liaisons/Observers:
Olivier Crèpin LeBlond– ALAC Liaison
Patrick Myles - ccNSO Observer - absent -apologies
Mason Cole – GNSO liaison to the GAC
David Olive -Senior Vice President, Policy Development Support and General Manager, ICANN Regional Headquarters- Istanbul
Marika Konings - Senior Policy Director
Mary Wong – Senior Policy Director
Julie Hedlund – Policy Director
Berry Cobb – Policy consultant
David Tait– Policy Specialist
Emily Barabas – Policy Analyst
Glen de Saint Géry - GNSO Secretariat
Nathalie Peregrine - Specialist, SO/AC Support (GNSO)
Eric Evrard- End-User Support
Beck Burr – Co-chair Draft Framework of Principles Cross Community Working Group
John Berard - Co-chair Draft Framework of Principles Cross Community Working Group
Steve Delbianco – Chair GNSO Bylaws Drafting Team
Herb Waye – ICANN Ombudsman
Adobe Chat Transcript
Item 1: Administrative matters
1.1 – Roll call
1.2 – Updates to Statements of Interest
1.3 – Review/amend agenda.
1.4 – Note the status of minutes for the previous Council meetings per the GNSO Operating Procedures:
Minutes of the GNSO Council Meeting on 29 September 2016 posted on 17 October 2016.
Item 2: Opening Remarks / Review of Projects & Action List
2.1 – Review focus areas and provide updates on specific key themes / topics, to include review of Projects List [gnso.icann.org] and Action List[community.icann.org]
Outstanding IGO/INGO PDP Recommendations
- Board – develop decision tree regarding IGO/INGO, which includes consideration of curative rights
- Staff requested to follow-up with the Board
Item 3: Consent agenda
There were no items on the consent agenda.
Item 4: COUNCIL VOTE – Adoption of the Proposed Final Framework of Principles for Future Cross Community Working Groups
Becky Burr and John Berard, who were invited to join the Council meeting as the Working Group Co-chairs, noted that the mission of the Framework of Principles for Future Cross Community Working Groups was to streamline the creation, operation and conclusion of a cross community working group and not to dictate the issues that qualify to be treated in such a group. Policy development is not undertaken in cross community working groups and all policy has to go through the Policy Development Processes in the GNSO Council.
Donna Austin, seconded by Rubens Kuhl proposed a motion to approve the Final Report of the Framework of Principles for Future Cross Community Working Groups
- In March 2012 the GNSO Council approved a set of initial draft principles relating to the formation and operation of cross community working groups (CCWGs) and directed ICANN staff to solicit feedback on the principles from the other ICANN Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees (SO/ACs);
- In June 2013 the ccNSO provided detailed feedback suggesting further clarifications and possible additions to the initial draft principles;
- In October 2013 the GNSO Council approved the formation of a Drafting Team to develop a Charter for a new CCWG to take forward and synthesize the initial work of the GNSO and the ccNSO feedback, and develop a final framework of operating principles that can function effectively across all SO/ACs relating to the formation, operation, decision making and termination of future CWGs (the "Final Framework of Operating Principles for Future CCWGs");
- The ccNSO Council and GNSO Council approved the Charter for the new CCWG to develop the Final Framework for Future CCWGs in March 2014;
- The CCWG published a proposed initial Framework for public comment in February 2016;
- Following the review of public comments received and further community deliberations at ICANN56 in June 2016, the CCWG completed its proposed Final Framework and submitted it to the ccNSO and GNSO Councils on 19 September 2016.
- The GNSO Council approves the Final Framework of Operating Principles for Future CCWGs.
- The GNSO Council thanks the CCWG for its work on developing and finalizing the Final Framework.
- The GNSO Council directs ICANN staff, upon the ccNSO Council's adoption of the Final Framework, to inform all SO/ACs of the two Councils' adoption of the Final Framework, and recommends that the principles and recommendations contained in the Final Framework be consulted by the ICANN community in considering the creation of all future CCWGs.
The motion carried unanimously by voice vote
- Following the ccNSO Council's approval of the Final Framework, staff to notify all other SO/ACs and to recommend (per GNSO Council resolution) that the Framework be used to guide all future CCWGs
Item 5: COUNCIL VOTE – Adoption of Consensus Recommendations from the GNSO Bylaws Drafting Team
Steve Delbianco, chair of the GNSO Bylaws Drafting team, provided a brief update and thanked Council for affording the drafting team extra time to complete the report and mentioned that the threshold level for voting remained a point of disagreement in the report.
It was cautioned against forming such a group in the future that did not work to a charter and where there was no liaison between the Council and the Drafting Team to apprise the Council at all times of the drafting team's progress.
- None (deferred to 7 November meeting at ICANN57)
Review minority statement and consult with Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies.
Item 6: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – ICANN Board Letter on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures
Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez proposed a motion on the GNSO Council Response to the ICANN Board Letter on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures.
- None (Council agreed that a vote on the placeholder motion would not be needed)
- Staff to circulate proposed response to GNSO Council list for final comments
- Final response to be transmitted to the ICANN Board by 21 October 2016
Item 7: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – GNSO Meeting Planning for ICANN57
ICANN57 will take place in Hyderabad, India, from 3-9 November 2016. This will be the first "Meeting C" under the new ICANN Meeting Strategy as well as the Annual General Meeting for ICANN.
The Council working session will take place on Friday 4 November 2016.
- Review schedule when published on ICANN website
- Working Group chairs to be invited to GNSO Working Sessions and requested to focus the time on discussion of milestones, challenges and significant issues of concern (rather than just present a general status update)
- Written status updates to be requested from each group; staff to prepare template for status updates
Item 8: UPDATE AND COUNCIL DISCUSSION – GAC-GNSO CONSULTATION GROUP ON GAC EARLY ENGAGEMENT IN GNSO POLICY DEVELOPMENT PROCESSES
Mason Cole, GNSO liaison to the GAC, provided Council with an update on the GAC-GNSO Consultation Group on GAC early engagement in the GNSO Policy Development Process.
Concern was expressed with regard to recommendations 4 and 5 as well as the fact that all this effort is made for the GAC while the same is not being done for the ALAC, RSAC, SSAC and some of the other groups.
- Council to consider final report from the group at ICANN57
Item 9: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – ICANN Board Letter regarding policy implications of the Final Report of the Internationalized Registration Data (IRD) Expert Working Group
- Deferred to ICANN57
Item 10: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Results of GNSO Newcomer Survey
- Deferred to ICANN57
Item 11: Any Other Business
11.1: Discussion of Board response and IGO small group proposal on IGO acronyms protection
James Bladel noted that an informal, impromptu call had taken place among some Councilors to share views and consider procedural options. Going forward, calls will be scheduled and notified to enable full participation.
- A small group of volunteer Councilors to prepare draft response to the Board, for circulation before ICANN57
- Discussions to continue, including with the Board at ICANN57
11.2: Introducing ICANN Ombudsman – Herb Waye
- Deferred to the meeting in Hyderabad
James Bladel adjourned the GNSO Council meeting and thanked everyone for their participation.
The meeting was adjourned at 14:04 UTC.
The next GNSO Council Public Meeting, Part 1 & Part 2 will take place on Monday, 7 November 2016 in Hyderabad at 13:45 IST (08:15 UTC).
For other places see: