Pending the ICANN Board's decision to initiate the Operational Design Phase (ODP) for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Policy Development Process Working Group (SubPro), the GNSO Council is seeking to identify a volunteer to serve as the liaison to the SubPro ODP.
The liaison role is to function primarily as a messenger (communication channel between ICANN org and the GNSO Council) and escalation point to the GNSO Council. The liaison will only speak for the Council when the Council instructs the liaison to do so. Any such communications on behalf of the Council must be delivered in a fully transparent manner.
The deadline for submissions is Tuesday 21 September at 23:59 UTC. Please see details below about how to apply.
- Serve as the primary contact between the ODP team and the GNSO Council to facilitate and streamline communications on identified issues that pertain to the intent or substance of the policy recommendations. Convey relevant information from the GNSO Council to the ODP team and vice versa.
- Provide relevant background information to ICANN org upon request, in consultation with the GNSO Council, as needed.
- Ensure all communications between the liaison and the ODP team are fully transparent.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Understanding of the specific and limited nature of the role and ability to perform liaison duties with the necessary restraint.
- Previous involvement with the SubPro PDP and in-depth knowledge of the subject matter.
- Demonstrated ability to act in a neutral manner, especially when there are divergent views within the GNSO.
- Familiarity with both the dynamics and the operations of the GNSO Council.
- Availability to devote the necessary time to this effort, including attending meetings with the ODP team upon request and providing regular updates to the Council.
Noting that this is a new position, and a number of factors will play into the ultimate time commitment required, it is currently anticipated that the liaison will devote approximately 5 hours a month to activities related to this role.
How to Apply
The GNSO Council has tasked the GNSO Standing Selection Committee (SSC) with evaluating the Expressions of Interest according to the criteria in the EOI with the objective of making a recommendation by full consensus to the GNSO Council. The SSC may also take into account all relevant information available about the candidates in making its decision. The GNSO Council will review the SSC's recommendation and make a final decision.
The Operational Design Phase (ODP) process paper recommends that the GNSO Council identify a liaison to the ODP. The paper states the following with respect to the ODP liaison (emphasis added):
"Any questions that arise during the ODP that pertain to policy, substance, intent of recommendations will be addressed to the GNSO Council as the manager of the PDP. To facilitate communication on these issues, the GNSO Council is encouraged to select and appoint an ODP liaison who, preferably, has had previous involvement with the relevant PDP.
The ODP does not require the liaison to be a member of the GNSO Council. The liaison will serve as the primary contact between ICANN org's ODP team and the GNSO Council on questions pertaining to the substance or intent of the GNSO Council recommendations. The liaison is expected to keep the GNSO Council informed about their engagement with ICANN org on these questions and should be empowered to convey relevant information from the GNSO Council to the ODP team."