RE: [ga] Call for Elimination of AGP

  • To: <chris@xxxxxx>, "'Ross Rader'" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Call for Elimination of AGP
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:32:45 +0200

> Ross the GA doesn't get taken seriously because bottom up
> consensus means nothing to ICANN or the registries who tell
> ICANN what to do. It doesn't get taken seriously unless we
> all agree with what the registries and ICANN BoD members and
> staff are saying.

I don't know why others do not take seriously the GA, there might be plenty
of reasons.
Mine is simply that I cannot take seriously a group where if four people
shout louder, affirming there's consensus on something (like for instance
the elimination altogether of the AGP to fix a problem that is a different
one) this has to be taken as gospel, even if other people on the same list
have argued different things.
To me, you have consensus when there's a debate where people try to converge
instead of talking past eachother, when there's a chairperson that
coordinates the debate, and maybe call for straw polls to get the sense of
the room (in the figured sense), when there's an interaction instead of a
repetition of the same mantra by a tiny part of the assembly.
Failing this attempt to get some sort of agreement, there is nothing worthed
being listened to.

> The fact that it is not taken seriously is solid proof of
> ICANN failing to meet it's mission altogether.

And, pray tell, on a scale from 1 to 10, how would you rate the performance
of the GA?

Cheers,
Roberto