Phase 1 of the EPDP concluded in May 2019, when the ICANN Board adopted the EPDP Team's Phase 1 Final Report, with the exception of parts of two recommendations. See background of the EPDP and its Phase 1 work here. In conjunction with the adoption of the Final Report, the GNSO Council provided the non-objection for the EPDP Team to commence its work on Phase 2 of the charter.
Phase 2 of the EPDP Team's work included deliberation on the following items:
- A system for Standardized Access/Disclosure (SSAD) to nonpublic registration data.
- Issues noted in the Annex to the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data ("Important Issues for Further Community Action")
- Issues deferred from Phase 1, such as legal vs. natural persons, redaction of city field, etc.
For further details of the Phase 2 scope, please see here.
The EPDP Phase 2 Team submitted its Final Report to the GNSO Council on 31 July 2020. The GNSO Council will begin discussion of the Final Report during its meeting on 24 September 2020.
See the latest update of current PDP efforts in the GNSO Policy Briefing here.
Responsible Staff Member:
- Marika Konings
- Caitlin Tubergen
- Berry Cobb
Working Group Members & Leadership and GNSO Liaison
- See wiki membership page
For the latest information and status on this project:
- See project list
GNSO Resolution on the Initiation of the EPDP:
Adopted on: 04 March 2019
Summary: "The GNSO Council hereby indicates its non-objection, as required per the EPDP Team Charter, for the EPDP Team to commence work on a System for Standardized Access to Non-Public Registration Data as well as other topics identified in Phase 2 of the Charter."
Working Group Charter:
Adopted on: 19 July 2018
Working Group Initial Report:
Submitted on 07 February 2020
Working Group Initial Report Addendum:
Submitted on: 26 March 2020
Working Group Final Report:
Submitted on: 31 July 2020
Updated Report (with additional minority statements, 25 Aug 2020)
GNSO Adoption of the Final Report:
Adopted on: 24 September 2020
Summary: "Resolved …..…"
GNSO Council Recommendations Report to the ICANN Board
Submitted on: 29 October 2020
ICANN Board Notification to GAC on Public Policy Issues:
Submitted on: 10 February 2021
- Letter on Priority 2 Recommendations (10 February 2021)
- Letter on Priority 1 Recommendations (09 March 2021)
Public Comment Prior to ICANN Board Consideration:
Submitted on: 03 December 2020
- Public Comment on Priority 2 Recommendations (03 December 2020)
- Public Comment on Priority 1 Recommendations (08 February 2021)
ICANN Board Resolution Text to Launch the Operational Design Phase:
Adopted on: 25 March 2021
Summary: "the Board directs the President and CEO, or his designee(s), to proceed with the Operational Design Phase for GNSO Council-approved recommendations (#1-18) from the EPDP Phase 2 Final Report on the System for Standardized Access and Disclosure."
ICANN Board Resolution Text:
Adopted on: dd Month 2020
Summary: "Resolved …..…"
Communications & Engagement
- Deadline Extended: Expressions of Interest Sought for Chair of GNSO EPDP on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data – Phase 2 (25 March 2019)
- GNSO Council Adopts EPDP Final Report on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data (4 March 2019)
- Expressions of Interest Sought for Chair of GNSO EPDP on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data – Phase 2 (1 March 2019)
- EPDP Phase 2 Team Publishes Final Report (10 August 2020)
- EPDP Team Publishes Addendum to Phase 2 Initial Report for Public Comment
- Make Your Voice Heard: Comment Now on the EPDP Phase 2 Initial Report (10 February 2020)
- EPDP Team Makes Key Progress in Phase 2 Work (19 September 2019)
- EPDP Phase 2 Final Report Webinar (3 September 2020)
- EPDP Phase 2 Initial Report Webinar (13 February 2020)
- Janis Karklins Talks about EPDP Team Phase 2 at ICANN65 (26 June 2019)