Re: [ga] RE: GA irrelevant

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: GA irrelevant
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 01:52:27 -0700

On 05/25/2010 09:19 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

Non commercial registrants don't need a miracle.  The Noncommercial
Stakeholder Group (NCSG) already allows for individual noncommercial
registrants to apply for membership.

It's easy to box those legal fictions known as "corporations" and "associations" and "partnerships" into commercial (or not) boxes - that's because their formation and legal existence is premised on their engagement in economic activities.

But human registrants don't fit nicely into the "commercial" and "non-commercial" buckets. We people simultaneously bathe in the stream of commerce and the stream of non-commercial life.

It's rather Procrustean to cut and stretch us in order to fit us onto ICANN's "non-commercial" iron bed.

For example, my "cavebear.com" is used by me for both commercial and non-commercial purposes. I am just as much at home in ICANN's commercial groups as in the non-commercial ones.

And one's activities may change their color over time - for instance things like Google started out as non-commercial experiments by individual people.

(By-the-way, I agree with Roberto that the burden of moving forward is on the aspirants to form the new group. I was just suggesting that ICANN's board give a nod of encouragement.)

        --karl--