GNSO Council Meeting Minutes 13 August 2009

Last Updated: 04 September 2009
Date: 
13 August 2009

Proposed agenda and documents

List of attendees:
Philip Sheppard - Commercial & Business Users C
Mike Rodenbaugh - Commercial & Business Users C
Zahid Jamil - Commercial & Business Users C
Greg Ruth - ISCPC - absent
Antonio Harris - ISCPC - absent - apologies
Tony Holmes - ISCPC
Stéphane van Gelder - Registrar C. joined after the roll call
Tim Ruiz - Registrar C. joined after the roll call
Adrian Kinderis - Registrars - absent - apologies
Chuck Gomes - gTLD registries C.
Edmon Chung - gTLD registries C.
Jordi Iparraguirre - gTLD registries C.
Kristina Rosette - Intellectual Property Interests C
Ute Decker - Intellectual Property Interests C - absent - apologies
Cyril Chua - Intellectual Property Interests C - absent - apologies
Mary Wong - NCUC - absent, apologies
William Drake - NCUC
Carlos Souza - NCUC - absent - apologies
Olga Cavalli- Nominating Committee appointee - absent apologies
Terry Davis - Nominating Committee appointee - joined after roll call
Avri Doria - Nominating Committee appointee

15 Council Members
( 20 Votes - quorum) (quorum reached at 13:20)

ICANN Staff
Denise Michel - Vice President Policy Development
Kurt Pritz - Senior Vice President, Services
Robert Hoggarth - Senior Policy Director
Liz Gasster - Senior Policy Counselor
Marika Konings - Policy Director
Margie Milam - Policy Director
Julie Hedlund - Policy Staff
Glen de Saint Géry - GNSO Secretariat

GNSO Council Liaisons/Observers
Alan Greenberg - ALAC Liaison
Mr Han Chun Lee - ccNSO observer

Rita Rodin - ICANN Board member - absent - apologies
Bruce Tonkin - ICANN Board member - absent apologies

MP3 Recording

Roll Call.

Item 1: Update any Statements of Interest

Avri Doria updated her statement of interest

Item 2: Review/amend the agenda

  • Item 8: Status Updates
  • 8.8 first item
  • 8.7 second item
  • then continue from 8.1

    Item 9: AOB - Discussion of letter requesting additional travel support

  • moved to after item 5, Item 5A

    Item 3 moved to after Item 4 as no quorum during the first 15 minutes of call.

Item 4: Fast Flux Hosting Final Report

James Bladel, the Fast Flux working group chair, presented Council with a summary of the Final report

ACTION ITEM

The report suggested that the GNSO should include an orientation to working group members as an early step for every working group to familiarise participants with the policy development process.
Avri Doria will convey the suggestion to the chair of the Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) Policy Development Process (PDP) work team that is working on GNSO improvements.

With regard to the statement ' the ICANN community needs to consider a future coordinated response', it was clarified that what goes beyond the purview of Council and joint Advisory Committee and Supporting Organisation efforts, becomes the ICANN Board's responsibility

Noteworthy was the way in which the public comments were handled in the report.

The report does not call for a successor policy development process (PDP) but notes that this could be a component of the registration abuse topic currently underway.

Mike Rodenbaugh, the Fast Flux working group liaison to the Council, confirmed that the working group reached consensus on the motion which essentially extracts the recommendations from the report.

Avri Doria seconded the motion made by Mike Rodenbaugh and proposed voting on it at the next Council meeting on 3 September 2009.

Item 3: Approve GNSO Council minutes 23 July 2009

Chuck Gomes, seconded by Stéphane van Gelder, moved the adoption of the GNSO Council minutes of 23 July 2009.

The motion passed.
One abstention: Kristina Rosette abstained because she was absent from the meeting.

Item 5: Joint ccNSO-GNSO IDN Working Group (JIG) call for participants

Edmon Chung noted that the Joint ccNSO-GNSO IDN Working Group Draft Charter, approved by the Council, still requires approval by the ccNSO Council at its meeting on 24 August 2009.

Councilors and non Councilors are encouraged to participate in the Joint ccNSO-GNSO IDN Working Group (JIG) which should consist of five members of the GNSO.
Potential members should contact Edmon Chung, the Council chair or indicate their willingness to participate on the Council list.
Edmon Chung indicated that he would be prepared to act as co-chair, the other co-chair will be selected from the ccNSO.

Stéphane van Gelder volunteered to join the working group.

Avri Doria proposed making the final selection of participants at the next Council meeting on 3 September 2009

item 5 A Discussion of letter requesting additional travel support

Avri Doria noted that the crafted motion before Council arose from the Chair's draft letter to Kevin Wilson requesting additional travel support for the Seoul meeting for which there was no consensus on the Council mailing list. The letter in the motion has the addition "by a vote of" otherwise it is identical and has been on the Council list for two weeks.

Philip Sheppard proposed the motion

Some of the views expressed are briefly noted:

  • A major structural reorganisation of ICANN, the second time in 10 years, will culminate at the Seoul meeting.
  • It is the first time term limits will come into being and will thus affect continuity.
  • Continuity is essential with regard to some of the issues being examined in the reorganisation process.
  • Face to face meetings are productive and necessary to move the work forward.
  • New councilors should be facilitated taking up their new position so allowing for a smooth transition.
  • All three 2009 ICANN meetings have been long haul for many participants causing specific budget issues.
  • It is usual for Councilors to change at Annual meetings so the situation is not new.

There was no uniformity of views in the Council and a clear understanding of the constituencies and number of councilors that are impacted is needed.
Staff agreed to provide the Council with the information.

Denise Michel stated that the GNSO has 21 travel slots to allocate as they wish and they are not connected to Council seats.

Action Items:

- Staff agreed to provide the Council with the information.
- Avri Doria proposed requesting the travel drafting team to discuss the issue and perhaps provide a motion to be voted on at the next Council meeting on 3 September 2009.

Item 6: Discussion of Remaining GNSO Council Transition Matters Necessary To Seat New Council In Seoul

30 July Board meeting Review
Rob Hoggarth gave Council a brief review of the 30 July Board meeting.

Regarding the GNSO restructuring the Board approved the four new stakeholder group charters needed to seat the new Council in Seoul.

The Board took action and approved the Board seat selection process for Board seats 13 and 14.
The Board discussed the new constituency petitions but took no action.
The Staff updated the Board on the progress with respect to the By-laws amendments package and discussed the need to circulate a Version two.

Denise Michel, in correspondence to the Council, highlighted that Staff would prepare the key tasks and timetables for achieving the restructuring in Seoul.

High level discussion of next steps
Rob Hoggarth mentioned seven major activities necessary to seat the Council in Seoul:

- By-law amendments with possible approval at the 27 August Board meeting

- Board appointments to the GNSO council for the three additional new NCSG members, (expected Board decision 30 September 2009)

- formation of executive committees in the Stakeholder Groups and the election of the GNSO Council representatives.

- constituency reconfirmations

- criteria for Nominating Committee Appointees to the GNSO council ( may not be in place by Seoul)

- Council input on Council Operating Procedures

- election of the GNSO Council officers.

Avri Doria proposed scheduling a Restructuring drafting team meeting.

Philip Sheppard, on behalf of the Business Constituency (BC) noted for the record the BC's concern about some last minute proposals that were changed to the stakeholder group charters that effectively subverted the process of being able to go back to constituencies to discuss, agree and go forward. It seemed to be a fundamental affront to the bottom up process, particularly with something as important as charters for self-formed organizations.

Views were expressed that electing councillors is a key scheduling function, while the chair and vice chair elections are less important and can be done when members know each other better. In past Council history, the Council has elected a Chair for the length of a meeting.

Rob Hoggarth drew Council's attention to the GNSO Council Operations work team which will be seeking input from Councilors on the draft Council Operating Procedures currently being developed.

Item 7: Schedule for Seoul

Avri Doria proposed the following draft schedule for the Seoul meeting and encouraged councilors to comment on the Council mailing list and on the Wiki pages.

Saturday, 24 October 2009
https://st.icann.org/gnso-council/index.cgi?agenda_24_oct_2009

Opportunity for GNSO members to interview candidates for the position of Council chair.

Sunday, 25 October 2009
https://st.icann.org/gnso-council/index.cgi?agenda_25_oct_2009

Wednesday, 28 October 2009
https://st.icann.org/gnso-council/index.cgi?agenda_28_oct_2009

Thursday, 29 October 2009
https://st.icann.org/gnso-council/index.cgi?agenda_29_oct_2009

The plan is for the newly elected chair to take over during the Thursday meeting.

Avri Doria noted that Nominating Committee Appointees' terms end and the new terms begin midway through the Board meeting on Friday, 30 October 2009 thus Avri's term as a Council member will run until then.

Avri Doria added "I will still be a Council member as of the Wednesday and the Thursday but my view is, if we can elect a new Chair on Wednesday and have the 24-hour absentee ballot return then the new Chair could Co-chair and take over the meeting on Thursday."

Councilors made the following suggestions regarding the meeting schedule in general:

conflicts should be avoided a far as possible
substantive sessions, such as the next draft of the Applicant Guidebook should be scheduled on Monday rather than Thursday

Denise Michel commented that two key issues will be focused on in Seoul, namely, the Applicant Guidebook and New gTLDs, and the fast track IDN process.

Item 8 Status Updates

8. 2. ccNSO Liaison update

8. 3. Geographical Region WG update

Action Item:
Avri Doria proposed initiating a question on the Council mailing list to find out if there was any interest in the GNSO providing comments.

8. 6. 1. Travel Policy Drafting Team

8.7.1 -5 GNSO Improvement Work Teams

Avri Doria encouraged written updates to be provided for Council meetings.

Item 9: AOB

Chuck Gomes reported for Edmon Chung who dropped off the line, that if there was interest in publishing an ad hoc draft report for the Registration Abuse Policies working group, public comments should be gathered before any of the recommendations are considered. Secondly, he indicated that some expressed interest in expanding the recommendations for the Registration Abuse Policies to WHOIS which, in his view, required re-examining the scope of the working group.

Avri Doria adjourned the GNSO Council meeting and thanked everyone for their participation.

The meeting ended at 15:05 UTC.
Next GNSO Council teleconference will on 3 September 2009 at 21:00 UTC.
see: Calendar

Action Items arising from the meeting

Item 4: Fast Flux Hosting Final Report
Avri Doria will convey the suggestion in the report, that the GNSO should include an orientation to working group members as an early step for every working group to familiarise participants with the policy development process, to the chair of the Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) Policy Development Process (PDP) work team currently working on GNSO improvements.

item 5 A Discussion of letter requesting additional travel support
- Staff to provide the Council with information on the constituencies and number of councilors that are impacted
- Avri Doria proposed requesting the travel drafting team to discuss the issue and perhaps provide a motion to be voted on at the next Council meeting on 3 September 2009.

Item 6: Discussion of Remaining GNSO Council Transition Matters Necessary To Seat New Council In Seoul
Schedule a Restructuring Drafting Team meeting.

8. 3. Geographical Region WG update
Avri Doria proposed initiating a question on the Council mailing list to find out if there was any interest in the GNSO providing comments.