Re: [ga] Re: Root server traffic

  • To: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: Root server traffic
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 19:16:28 +0100

At 02:04 23/11/2007, Joe Baptista wrote:
Think about it folks - that 50 million users accessing TLDs outside the IANA deprecated root. Anytime those users communicate with other using those URLs - bingo the roots get a request for something they don't know. And I suspect 50 millions users associated with those TLDs are causing alot of error traffic at the IANA roots. Of course no one has performed a root analysis in years that has been public so we'll never know. Thats why I speculate the error rate has gone up significantly from the 98% error originally reported by CAIDA in my article. Today its probably 99.99999 .... or something like that

Joe,
the Chinese name users do not hit the public root, except if they did not set their PC properly when abroad. Please remember that Chinese names are like "kid.us": created by local law. Chinese ISP resolve them, so do many ISP round the world with a Chinese community. The Chinese Government also distributed more than two hundred millions plug-in for people calling from abroad. These plug-in translate the Chinese names to the .cn supported by the NTIA and all the other roots.

An overlooked IDNA problem as documented by IETF and ICANN are the typos. The more complex/new are names the more typos you can have.

What should be avoided is to consider that the ICANN/NTIA root is anything technically special. It is a root feature as any other (actually it is the one with the worst ROI: the slimest for the biggest budget). What ever the root they have the same technical problems and economy (they do not cost to the root administrator - dont ask me where ICANN can spend its money").

As Vint said once, the Internet true root is the one with the largest number of users. This makes the GSMA "alt-root" (GSM Providers Association) to be "the" Internet root http://www.gsmworld.com/about/vision.shtml with 2 billion users and ".gprs".
jfc