Re: [ga] Re: Root server traffic

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: Root server traffic
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 20:04:23 -0500

I still have one more message allowance today - so here goes - lets see if we all can get our heads around this.

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

And even if that was my intention, it still remains a plain error from my
part, considering that I have sent the query to the standard root system,
and not to some alternate root.

Well how do you explain .elvis? or .corp? Neither are mistypes.

What is happening here is people sharing URLs outside their local root are causing a good deal of the heavy traffic at IANA roots. China is one excellent example of this. The chinese TLDss 中国 (which means “China"), 公司 (which means “company"), and 网络 (which means “net") are used by over 50 million people daily. When those people communicate with others who do not use the china root and send them china root URLs then anytime those IANA users click on these URLs the net result is the root servers get queried. That means the logs at the IANA roots show traffic for these TLDs, or more specifically their IDN equivalents.

Think about it folks - that 50 million users accessing TLDs outside the IANA deprecated root. Anytime those users communicate with other using those URLs - bingo the roots get a request for something they don't know. And I suspect 50 millions users associated with those TLDs are causing alot of error traffic at the IANA roots. Of course no one has performed a root analysis in years that has been public so we'll never know. Thats why I speculate the error rate has gone up significantly from the 98% error originally reported by CAIDA in my article. Today its probably 99.99999 .... or something like that.

One things for sure - I would luv to know the stats on how often the IANA root gets queried for china root tlds. That would be an eye opener for the world.

regards
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista                                www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium

begin:vcard
fn:Joe Baptista
n:Baptista;Joe
org:PublicRoot Consortium
adr:;;963 Ford Street;Peterborough;Ontario;K9J 5V5 ;Canada
email;internet:baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:PublicRoot Representative
tel;fax:+1 (509) 479-0084
tel;cell:+1 (416) 912-6551