[ga] Root server traffic

  • To: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Root server traffic
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:12:15 -0500

Ross Rader wrote:

On 21-Nov-07, at 11:19 AM, Joe Baptista wrote:

The ICANN / IANA root zone is under significant stress when it comes to error traffic.

When I hear that from the ICANN/IANA root operators, or at least someone close to the community, I'll start to worry about the root zone error traffic.

Ross - we have heard from a very respected member of the community, CAIDA. I heard the message loud and clear back in 2003.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02/05/dud_queries_swamp_us_internet/

And to verify this you contact KC Claffy or Duane Wessels at CAIDA and ask for a copy of the report. Back in 2003 the error rate was 98%. Now that the chinese, the arabs, the turks and a number of small countries are running their own roots I expect that rate now is well above the 98% reported back in 2003.

cheers
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista                                www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium

begin:vcard
fn:Joe Baptista
n:Baptista;Joe
org:PublicRoot Consortium
adr:;;963 Ford Street;Peterborough;Ontario;K9J 5V5 ;Canada
email;internet:baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:PublicRoot Representative
tel;fax:+1 (509) 479-0084
tel;cell:+1 (416) 912-6551