Re: [ga] Re: Root server traffic

  • To: Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: Root server traffic
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:48:36 +0100

Dear Andy,
the reality of naming is of a TLD forest. At least a three roots forest: the ntia root and .local + .chaos.

The ICANN ITD TLD testing is a pure technical joke. No one ever doubted that a root server system could not support a few TLD more :-) and wikipedia shows everyday that a wiki can support more than 17 languages.

Everyone serious agreed a long ago (and documented last year in Athens [Vint and Falström] that IDNA RFCs had to be revamped before they could deploy seriously (please indicate where is the WG-IDN? May be you will remember that Brian Carpenter [IETF Chair until last year] was a former Unicode BoD Member, and that his predecssor was Harald Alvestrand, Unicode and ICANN BoD Member.

Chinese names show that the IDNA's problem is not with the basics of the IDNs, but with phishing (3rd level and higher), with the permitted character set and the choice of Unicode, etc. and that has nothing to do with "IDNccTLD" but with Unicode being supported, with the TM problems related to "babel names", with the political control ICANN and the USA want to keep on the internet and the linguistic support (which is the key of the semantic processing and of e-commerce [e- for Engish inside]), with Affilias or Verisign or etc. wanting to sell names in China or in India etc.

There is so much a long time that IDNA works that I do not even recall in the http://jean-françois.jefsey.com page :-).