Re: [ga] Re: 'stakeholders'

Joop's comments on democracy, and democratic process and dialogue, are right
on target - a lesson for any organisation and an indictment of ICANN. My

----- Original Message -----
From: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Please do not call our present society post-democratic.
> The principles of democracy (vs. Fuehrerprinzip) are still intact.

Exactly. And the people at the top can get booted out if they ignore the
wishes of the people. If the ICANN Board had to face elections, they would
start to understand that responsibility requires accountability, and that
autocracy by and for a privileged few, against the will of the majority, is
unacceptable. If the principles of democracy were introduced to ICANN, quite
simply, the Board would have been swept away ages ago.

> The tricks of  pseudo-democracy revolve around ... how to disguise the de
facto
> leadership  of a small oligocracy.

That is why "consensus" (itself an excellent ideal) is used and abused by
ICANN... it's a catchphrase they can apply to block anything which impedes
their policy... but it's a catchphrase that they readily abandon when that
consensus runs against the oligarchy

> >And we want that
> >representation organized in a way which will make sense to everyone, so
it
> >will listened to.
>
> The only way that makes sense to everyone (except to the ICANN Board) is
> one- registrant/person-one -vote.
>
> This happened to be also the $450.000 conclusion of the ALSC.
>
> -joop-

Well spoken Joop! And ALSC was set up by ICANN. But because the oligarchy
did not like the ALSC conclusion, they rejected it. It was too democratic.
It would have threatened the powerbase of the oligarchy. Just like the
elected representatives of the At Large threatened the powerbase of the
oligarchy. So they were expelled from the Board.

Richard H

Join the At Large at Icann At Large!
http://www.atlarge.org
http://www.icannatlarge.org