Re: [ga] On Elections

  • To: ga the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] On Elections
  • From: Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 00:21:57 -0500

On Oct 5, 2007, at 3:00 AM, Debbie Garside wrote:

This is a subject very close to me and at present I am unable to comment too
much due to an ISO NWIP for Internationalized Country Codes that is
currently out for vote.  I am the Editor of the said NWIP and at this
present moment it looks like it might fail which is a damn shame because if it does it is my belief that there will be mayhem if IDN TLDs are introduced
piecemeal in an unstructured way.

I see 3 separate issues here.

1. Brand new "IDN" gTLDs

- these should be treated the same as any new gTLD, but must not infringe on the "meaning" of any existing gTLD, as that might cause user confusion - a bilingual Korean might reasonably expect an email sent to 컴퓨터.영업 to reach 컴퓨터.biz safely.

2. Existing gTLDs

- these should be assigned non-English lingual equivalents to facilitate the expansion of the Internet across the world's languages, with database mirroring or DNAME to tie existing registrations to their lingual equivalents. .net == .网络 == קום. = .нет .I feel this should be a requirement for existing gTLD owners so they don't use their lingual equivalent extra gTLD's and free gifts. If they don't want to mirror their existing users, they can compete for a brand new gTLD like everyone else.

3. ccTLDs

- ccTLDs should be given the opportunity to be assigned extra ccTLDs that conform to their country name, or an abbreviation of it, in whatever scripts/languages are designated official languages of that country. South Korea gets .한국 (and can mirror it to .kr or run it separately - their choice).

Note that this doesn't always mean the extra ccTLD's would be IDNs. Hungarians would probably be a lot more comfortable with an abbreviation of magyarország rather than .hu and it's probably not going to need an IDN to do it. Māori is an official language in New Zealand, so they would get an extra ccTLD for an abbreviation of Aotearoa (the Māori name for New Zealand).

One thing that definitely should be frowned upon is attempts to get extra ccTLD's that are commercial in nature (say .tv gunning for . 텔레비전 = television in Korean).

Once the 10th comes around you can explain to us what you mean by "piecemeal" and "unstructured". :^)