Re: [ga] IDN issues (was: On Elections)

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] IDN issues (was: On Elections)
  • From: "Sotiris Sotiropoulos" <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 22:13:38 -0700 (PDT)

JFC wrote:

> (6) IDNs, and further on LDNs (local/language Domain Names), raise a
> large number of issues, in which none of the ICANN numerous
> committees have discussed or engaged in proper dialog with the
> concerned experts.

I see no reason why subscribers to the GA cannot voice their opinions
openly and candidly about their preference for "multilingualization" as
opposed to "internationalization" of the IDNspace, you have done an
admirable job of stating your concerns and preferences.  Thank you for
sharing them with us...  Personally speaking, while I sympathize with your
conception of the "multilingualization" of the IDNspace, I am not sure
that the IAB and the IETF have managed to work out all the problems of an
English based ascii "internationalizing" standardization model, so to
introduce untold numbers of new complexities to the mix by trying to phase
in a multilingual approach, should that even be possible at this point,
may actually cause more confusion than benefit...

But, I am hardly an expert in this area.

Sotiris Sotiropoulos
Chair