Re: [ga] RE: GA "Election" was fake, ignore the "results" ( was Re: [ga] Elections Results - vote count)

  • To: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: GA "Election" was fake, ignore the "results" ( was Re: [ga] Elections Results - vote count)
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:02:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

This is my 5th post of the day, so I won't be able to respond to
anything until tomorrow.

Here is a timeline of this "election"

1) September 13, 2007:

"As chair I appoint, without their permission, the following list
members to serve as the Election Oversight Committee.

  1. Danny Younger
  2. Thomas Narten.
  3. Elisabeth Porteneuve"

This pertains to the "rule" (from Draft 6) that "Before the start of
the election, the (outgoing) Chair selects at least 3 people who are
not candidates to act as an Election Oversight Committee (EOC) and
Secretariat. The watchdogs agree with the Chair the voting mechanism to
be employed and receive full details of the voting mechanism and
oversee all votes. The names of the EOC and Secretariat are to be made
public."

There is no evidence that Thomas Narten or Elisabeth Portneuve
participated in any manner whatsoever on the committee

2) On September 17, Dierker posted:

"Due to the situation with the election of the chair, I do not
anticipate pushing any further for an EOC or voting booth. There appear
to be other areas of concern that warrant our time (or not)."

So, it appears the election was off.

3) On September 18, Debbie posted:

"You may be interested to know that we currently have an election
ongoing for
the post of Chair of the GA."

How can that be, when no one called for an election? (by the rules, the
EOC must be in existence "before the start of the election")

4) On September 19th, we have the posting by Dierker:

"The Nominations for Chair for this term, Closed on Sept. 13th with
lack of participation."

Notice the date, "closed on September 13th"?? Yet, "the rules" state:

""Before the start of the election, the (outgoing) Chair selects at
least 3 people who are not candidates to act as an Election Oversight
Committee (EOC) and Secretariat."
"The election process starts when the GA Secretariat announces that
nominations are open."
"The nomination period shall be at least one week."

In the universe *I* live in, it's mathematically impossible for 7 days
after September 13th (the earliest possible date for nominations to be
open, i.e. after the supposed "appointment of the EOC") to be any time
earlier than September 20th. Yet, we have Dierker posting that
nominations closed on September 13th.

5) On September 21, we have the following:

"Well, due to my lack of ability to raise interest and participation in
the Election we are faced with a situation that has some options.

I will not list them or indicate my preference until I have heard
publicly from the list.  If I hear nothing than I will proceed
accordingly, with a very informal support or no support type casual
vote."

Obviously, there is no election in existence as of September 21.

6) September 21, Baptista posts:

"At this point I'm lost in this election maze.  What is the GA's
current status with respect to elections.  Can we simply get on with
the status quo?"

7) On September 26, Dierker posts:

"I have received no input regarding the best way to proceed so we shall
continue along the previous marked out process.

Voting will be open from October 1st to the 3rd.  There will be no
negative voting as this is not a referendum.

As we went through the Nominating process already with only one
nomination acceptance and confirmation there would only be my name on
the ballot.

We could also accept "write ins" and proceed to a runoff should there
be no clear winner.
I am open to any suggestions and in fact request them."

Wait a second. Where does that fit into the "rules"?

"The watchdogs agree with the Chair the voting mechanism to be employed
and receive full details of the voting mechanism and oversee all
votes."

however, the "Chair" has stated "I have received no input".  Where were
watchdogs?

8) Was Dierker even properly nominated? According to:

Debbie nominated Dierker on September 12. This nomination was before
September 13th, the earlier possible date of the EOC (see point #1).
Thus, that nomination was obviously null and void, as the election had
not even begun.

9) According to the rules, the only possible proper nominations were
the one I mades of Sotiris and Vint on September 17th:

"Given the above, I nominate Vint Cerf and Sotiris Sotiropoulos as
Chair of the GA list"

which was properly made AFTER the EOC creation date (obviously the
election could not start before that date, by the rules).

In conclusion, I repeat that this was not an "election" by any proper
mechanism. The "results" are to be ignored.

And that's my 5th and final post of the day, so good night folks.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/