RE: [ga] RE: GA "Election" was fake, ignore the "results" ( was Re: [ga] Elections Results - vote count)

  • To: <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] RE: GA "Election" was fake, ignore the "results" ( was Re: [ga] Elections Results - vote count)
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 02:20:39 +0100

Dear George

I'm not really sure what you are hoping to achieve here.  Nevertheless, I
will answer your queries.

> This is my 5th post of the day, so I won't be able to respond
> to anything until tomorrow.

As this is quite an important issue I am sure that the Chair will allow
further posts should they be required.  I am not sure whether this is within
my power as List Monitor but am quite sure that any reasoned discussion can
be allowed so long as it does not persist along the same track each time.

> Here is a timeline of this "election"

I would have to disagree with you there...

Here are the election rules (draft 6) with the true timeline of the
Election:

[RULE]An election is usually held near the end of the term of office for the
chair of the General Assembly. The exact time is decided by the outgoing
Chair. Before the start of the election, the (outgoing) Chair selects at
least 3 people who are not candidates to act as an Election Oversight
Committee (EOC) and Secretariat. The watchdogs agree with the Chair the
voting mechanism to be employed and receive full details of the voting
mechanism and oversee all votes. The names of the EOC and Secretariat are to
be made public.

[TIMELINE] The names of the EOC and Secretariat were made public on the 13th
of September. I do not know when the EOC were chosen I assume prior to the
call for nominations.  It says nothing in the rules about when the Chair
should inform the list of his chosen EOC just that he should.

[RULE] The election process starts when the GA Secretariat announces that
nominations are open.

[TIMELINE] The GA Secretariat (remember the Chair acted as
Secretariat)announced that nominations were open on the 10th September 2007

[RULE] All nominations and endorsements are made public.

[COMMENT] I am unaware of any nominations or endorsements that were not made
public

[RULE] Nominees for the Chair are sent to an email address provided by the
Secretariat.

[COMMENT] The GA List address was specified

[RULE] The nomination period shall be at least one week.

[COMMENT] The nomination period ran from the 10th to the 18th of September

[RULE] After the close of the nomination period, endorsements for the
candidates are sent to an email address provided by the Secretariat.

[COMMENT] I personally endorsed Eric and Joe seconded both mails sent to the
address provided - the GA List

[RULE] The endorsement period shall be at least one week.

[COMMENT] I believe this was the case

[RULE] Before the end of the endorsement period, candidates that wish to be
considered for the post must have sent in an acceptance of the nomination.

[COMMENT] I believe this occurred

[RULE] All candidates who have accepted the nomination, and have at least
two endorsements from subscribers to the GA mailing list are considered
candidates.

[COMMENT] I believe Eric was a bonafide candidate having adhered to all the
rules so far.

Note: Candidates are allowed to endorse themselves. Members can endorse
multiple candidates.

[RULE] Voting is secret; only the Secretariat and the EOC will be allowed to
see the votes.

[COMMENT] This is the only stumbling block that I can see.  The question
remains, was a vote required at all and if so was the Chair, who also
represented the only candidate, reasonable in informing the list of his
intention to conduct the vote publicly?  I would say this was quite
reasonable behaviour and no objection was received prior to the dates for
the actual vote.  It should be noted that one objection was received during
the voting period but this was deemed too late.

[RULE] Each subscriber to the General Assembly mailing list receives one
vote.

[COMMENT] As the vote was conducted publicly I don't think we are in any
danger here.

[RULE] Subscribers must have been members with at least 3 postings to the
list, at least 90 days prior to the call for an election. The election
period shall be at least 14 days.

[COMMENT] I believe that all those who voted were bonafide members of this
list - they have to be to post.  I do not know whether all had posted 3
times 90 days prior to the election but I can say that the majority of
voters had.  The election period spanned from the 10th September when
nominations opened through to the 3rd of October; well within the 14 days
stipulated.

I hope this now puts an end to the matter.  Please feel free to propose
amendments to these rules.  I am sure that we can now all see that some
additional rules would be advantageous.

Best regards

Debbie