Re: [registrars] Motion on Travel Funding

On 10-Dec-07, at 1:07 PM, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

I'd like to see an exception mechanism, either from the universal funding position (nominally Adrian's) or the universal rejection position (nominally yours), that has some means test for need.

In principle, I agree that something like this might necessarily be included, but in practice it would be difficult to apply. All of the Councillors come from established organizations and I fail to see why domain name prices should be increased simply to ensure their participation at ICANN meetings. If Councillors cannot afford to travel, then I would question their capability to represent their constituency - and also that of the Constituency to support their Councillors.

I don't mind a portion of my constituency dues being earmarked for this sort of thing, but there's something terribly wrong with ICANN collecting a tax to ensure telecommunications lobbyists, professional consultants and other paid advocates a free ride. The people that are lobbying hardest for this type of funding have the strongest track record of attendance at the ICANN meetings.

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services
t. 416.538.5492
c. 416.828.8783
http://www.domaindirect.com

"To solve the problems of today, we must focus on tomorrow."
- Erik Nupponen