Re: [registrars] Motion on Travel Funding

In case there are any questions concerning what funding travel for GNSO Councillors actually entails, here is an email that Tim Ruiz of GoDaddy posted to the GNSO GA List earlier this past week.

I think Denise was misunderstood, or maybe it wasn't clear. I
took her note to mean the $205,800 was inclusive of the
airfare of $147,000. Per Councilor - $7000 Bus. class
airfare, $400 per day hotel/meals for seven days/nights
(probably longer than most would actually stay).

Put another way, funding travel for Councilors would have the effect of adding at least and additional $750k per year to ICANN's budget. 100% of this increase will be passed along as an increased "tax" on domain registrations.

At a time when ICANN's budget seems to be spirally higher and higher at every turn, I would hope that our elected constituency representatives would take a position on our behalf that would minimize the fees that ICANN must collect from us, not increase them.

From my perspective, rate increases such as this will have the same negative impact that the domain registration rate increases have had. We cannot let these types of price increases continue unchecked.

The motion requires two more endorsements before it can be put to a vote.

-ross