Re: [ga] [Fwd: [address-policy-wg] ICANN Ratifies Global Policy for Allocation of IPv6 Address Space]

Thomas Narten wrote:

Problem isn't bloggers per se, it's the idea that literally everything
should be public.

Nobody has ever said "everything". Contract/litigation negotiations and personal matters are properly held back.

But as to the rest - if ICANN had a proper degree of real public representation on its board to make that choice, might be a reasonable thing to decide to do after proper debate.

But that debate has never occurred.

However, given that ICANN has never fulfilled its original express promise to have at least half of its board seats elected by the public, and has indeed eliminated public seats altogether, the current state of secrecy is simply unacceptable.

If some board members do not feel comfortable discussing these issues that affect the public so deeply in a way that the public can observe, evaluate, and react, then those board members ought to step down so that they may be replaced by those who do.

Board members are not gods, they are fallible humans. Like all of us, we make better decisions if flaws in our thoughts can be identified and our well considered thoughts reinforced. And unless we, the community of internet users, can observe how the board is serving, or not serving, our interests, then an important and necessary part of the feedback process is vitiated and made useless.

		--karl--