Re: [ga] [Fwd: [address-policy-wg] ICANN Ratifies Global Policy for Allocation of IPv6 Address Space]

Martin Hannigan wrote:

The ICANN announcement is available from the ICANN website at:
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-11sep06.htm

It's not that odd of a policy, except that it tends to be based more on faith in the RIRs than in detailed specifics. But there is a fair amount of real experience from the IPv4 world built into it.

But as a "policy" it is significantly lacking with regard to the quality and nature of the obligations that the RIRs ought to follow in their own delegations. In that regard it is more of a supplicating kow-tow on the part of ICANN in the direction of the RIRs than as a policy that is designed to improved the stability of the internet for the benefit of all.

But when we compare it to DNS policy - it stands head and shoulders above. This is because this *is* technical and largely insulated from commercial and political pressures (except the regional and national demands for address space.)

I got the impression that no one on the board actually read this policy - it is not only vague and subjective, but also has internal references that are dangling. Like what is "Item A"?

		--karl--