Re: [ga] [Fwd: [address-policy-wg] ICANN Ratifies Global Policy for Allocation of IPv6 Address Space]

  • To: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] [Fwd: [address-policy-wg] ICANN Ratifies Global Policy for Allocation of IPv6 Address Space]
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 07:54:41 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think there is a Latin phrase for it something along the lines of en exclusivio est inclusio, which is a translating instruction meaning if something is left out then that is the intent of the drafter. It presumes competence and that in that competence omission was intentional. I think that by not saying much they have spoke volumes.

Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Martin Hannigan wrote:

>> The ICANN announcement is available from the ICANN website at:
>> http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-11sep06.htm

It's not that odd of a policy, except that it tends to be based more on
faith in the RIRs than in detailed specifics. But there is a fair
amount of real experience from the IPv4 world built into it.

But as a "policy" it is significantly lacking with regard to the quality
and nature of the obligations that the RIRs ought to follow in their own
delegations. In that regard it is more of a supplicating kow-tow on the
part of ICANN in the direction of the RIRs than as a policy that is
designed to improved the stability of the internet for the benefit of all.

But when we compare it to DNS policy - it stands head and shoulders
above. This is because this *is* technical and largely insulated from
commercial and political pressures (except the regional and national
demands for address space.)

I got the impression that no one on the board actually read this policy
- it is not only vague and subjective, but also has internal references
that are dangling. Like what is "Item A"?

--karl--