[ga] RE: Monthly Reports

  • To: Patrick Jones <patrick.jones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] RE: Monthly Reports
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:55:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Patrick,

You're correct that the total need not be summed up. However, the entire column
for domains at each registry was missing, as were other columns. If you read
page 6 of the dot-cat PDF for December 2008, which duplicates the Appendix 4
fields, there are 35 required fields. However, there were only columns A
through W submitted on the spreadsheet table (which is 23 fields). Thus 12
fields (columns) were entirely missing. It's not just the totals (in a row)
that were missing (which were optional). Appendix 4 does state:

http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agreements/cat/cat-appendix4-22mar06.htm

"This report shall be transmitted to ICANN electronically in comma or pipe
separated-value format, using the following fields per registrar:"

so it's relatively easy to count up to 35, to see that all fields are present.
For ICANN staff earning above market salaries:

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090105_icann_for_profit_companies_comparables/

I would think that knowing there's a difference between 23 and 35 would be
something "above average" employees would be qualified to know. If they don't
know that difference, I'd suggest the CFO cut people's paycheques by 12/35ths,
to see if they notice a difference.

Most ICANN staff members typically ignore questions to them (save for those
coming from registry operators who pay for fancy parties at ICANN meetings),
unless the issue is published on the lists to "prod them" into action. If there
is an official email address that is public and archived, feel free to post it,
and that might encourage people to submit it to staff who will then be
responsive (because their lack of an answer can be monitored by all). You'll
note for example the Mexico Question Box answers didn't appear until I posted
about it on the GA list:

and even then, answers were evasive, e.g. ICANN denied receiving any notice
they were researching my views on Obama!

ICANN knows the timestamp and IP address of the individual, so they certainly
know exactly who was responsible.

I don't feel so bad that my concerns are ignored, given ICANN has also ignored
the NTIA/DOJ/DOC in their new gTLD comments. Unlike them, I have no power
whatsoever over ICANN. It would be better if ICANN continued to ignore me, but
instead listened to the NTIA/DOJ/DOC (and the concerns of the vast majority of
the public who oppose new gTLDs), if ICANN truly cares about its long-term
survival. But, if they plan to listen to everyone, that's fine too. I guess
we'll see for sure whether ICANN turns the corner and becomes responsive to the
community if the new gTLD plan is simply shelved or put on the backburner for
further study. Time will tell.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/