Re[2]: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100, 000-plus price tag

  • To: *ICANN GA List <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re[2]: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100, 000-plus price tag
  • From: Karl Peters - TLDA <tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:27:39 -0400

> JFC,
>
> If you choose to sign your emails as "Roberto Gaetano", you might have your
> good reasons for doing so, that I fully understand.
> For my part, I can guarantee you that I will never sign my emails as "JFC".
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto

Mr. Gaetano,                        (ICANN)
        This means the object lesson worked, to some degree, at least. You
would not sign his name on your e-mails because you know that would be
confusing and even be consodered as theft of his personal product or identity,
right? Great! Can ICANN learn this lesson BEFORE they auction off known
colliding TLDs?
        Borrowing from John Palmer, can ICANN be persuaded to work WITH the
inclusive name space people to make every reasonable effort not to collide and
to cooperate with existing TLD holders who may lack marketing power to widely
promote their TLD on their own. ICANN could negotiate a package with each
potential collider so that auction participants can know the deal they will get
and that it is free and clear of legal challenge. This might be to give the
existing operator a certain number of SLDs and then work out a buy-out or
sharing agreement or any number of other considerations they can  both agree
on. Well before the auction, the TLDA will have published its "TapRoot" of all
known TLDs with its recommended selections for first of the RFC compliant
"colliders" for inclusion in the optimal Inclusive Name Space root file for
RSCs around the world to adopt or chose from without controversey or collision.
Participants in the Auction should know what TLDs will bring a challenge after
the purchase and which will not, right? I heartily welcome ICANN to send us a
representative to observe, or ask their TLD operators to have a representative
join the TLDA. The TLDA is not against ICANN in so far as we all play fair.
There is no reason we can not all benefit from each other's unique
contributions to the Inclusive Name Space. That, incidentally, includes the
ICANN TLDs, and will continue to, where such TLDs exist fairly and properly.
        This is a great chance to move forward into a peaceful and technically
solvent world Internet. Let's not waste the moment! We have a chance to do
things right. No one will forgive us if we do not attempt it!!!
-Karl E. Peters