Re: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100,000-plus price tag

  • To: "Joe Baptista" <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Karl Auerbach" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100,000-plus price tag
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 03:55:45 +0200

At 21:35 29/06/2008, Joe Baptista wrote:
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Karl Auerbach <<mailto:karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(I tend to use the phrase "competing roots".)

Actually the roots the same or abstracts of the same real root (all the TLDs). This is why coopetition seems better. Also, the coopetition is not between roots (as files) but between Root Services, which should strive for something ICANN ignore competition for quality.

URLs become worthless when you can't find the domains because the roots use competing TLDs. The only roots with value are those that are RFC 2826 compliant and don't create collisions - like ICANN.

I was puzzled by the mail Karl felt necessary to send to Roberto. It seems that I was wrong kidding Roberto : he genuinely does not know what is an inclusive/open root and has been intoxicated by the ICANN technical confusion with TLD conflicts. Apologies to Roberto: I really wish ICANN would be as careful at avoiding TLD conflicts as the open root community is, in spite of its limited resources.

In 30 years dealing with the International Network list, the only person I know of who purposely ever created a TLD conflict is Vint with .biz.
jfc