RE: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100,000-plus price tag

  • To: "'Karl Auerbach'" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100,000-plus price tag
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 23:26:56 +0200

Karl,
It was unfortunate that this subject came up only when the Paris meeting had
ended, as otherwise we could have taken the opportunity to discuss the
matter in person. I hope that we will have a second chance sometimes.

The problem, as I see it, is to which extent market forces can design a
stable environment, without participation of other forces, and my comment
was primarily driven by the observation that market forces are considered by
the same people either the sole arbiter of the situation, or something to be
supplemented by other means, depending on how the wind blows.
So, years ago, market forces were to be left alone in determining the
success (or failure) of competing root systems, and now some of the same
people claim the need for a different regime, mainly because the market has
made its choice, but some don't like it.

This said, I will try to comment on some specific points of your very
interesting and enlightening note.

> The idea of having multiple root systems is to provide a way
> for users and providers to interact, in a way similar to the
> complicated ways that buyers and sellers interact in a
> multi-vendor marketplace, to arrive at a relatively stable
> and relatively consistent set of TLDs without the need for a
> central decision making authority (such as ICANN.)

I can buy that, in principle. But I have some difficulties in the practical
implementation. See below.

> [....]
>
> How is this "same name, same meaning" obtained?  Through the
> positive application of an idea that has previously been the
> source of so much
> trouble: the laws of trade and service marks.  If two or more
> people try to offer different versions of .example then they
> have recourse to the legal system to resolve that dispute.

OK.
Now, if a "competing root" in, say, some Asian country, is offering the same
TLD string, with different contents, that another "competing root" is
offering in, say, Africa, which is the competent jurisdiction to resolve the
dispute? Shall WIPO create another UDRP for this case? Or should this be
done by another means?
And while WIPO (or whoever else) would have affirmed authority worldwide on
this matter, what do we do?

> And, of course, while there is a viable dispute, few rational
> root server operators would incorporate what are, in effect,
> damaged and dangerous goods in its root's inventory of TLDs:
> root server operators, like the rest of us, do not want their
> customers to be surprised and to take their custom elsewhere
> as a consequence.

This is the bit that bothers me most.
We have witnessed over the years that the DNS marketplace is a jungle where
everything might happen, more often than not surprising customers and even
governments. Registrars are fiercely competing, taking full advantage of
their operating in different jurisdictions. Even registries are behaving in
a way that can be detrimental to the security and stability of the internet,
if that suits their commercial interests (remember the wildcard?), and only
enforcement of contracts can reduce the damage to the community.
What would led us to think that competing root operators would do business
in an ethical way, agreeing to common standards and enforcing the same set
of rules, unless they are obliged by some sort of constraint ot operate in
the interest of the wider internet community rather than in their own petty
interest?
This does not happen in the real world neither for registrars nor for
registries, why on earth should we assume that it will happen for "competing
roots"? In this very mailing list ICANN has been blamed (and rightfully so)
for an initially weak attitude in enforcement of the contracts (and the
situation has changed, and is still progressing). What allows us to assume
that the "competing roots" would not need a similar contractual relationship
with a body that would have the right to demand enforcement of the
contracts? And what would this body be?

The problem that I see is that, while the use of a brand that infringes IP
rights has a limited, although sometimes important, effect if we talk about
Gucci bags or Rolex watches, confusion at the TLD level can have instant
ripercussions on the internet worldwide. And while in the former case local
laws can curbe the problem, in the latter case this is impossible. So, at
the least, we need an internationally developed and adopted body of law, and
universal acceptance of it.
Sorry, but I don't see this coming. And the reason why I don't believe that
it would ever come, is that the competing root operators would be exactly
the first people who would oppose this approach.

Cheers,
Roberto