[ga] New DNS order

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Karl Auerbach'" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] New DNS order
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 02:56:18 +0200

Roberto,
I am afraid you miss something in your reasoning: you, PDT and the BoD cannot do anything about it anymore.

For years the DNS has been based upon RFC 920, i.e. the rules we agreed in 1984, that ICANN strictly respected (except about .biz) up to now. Clearly ICANN has a new policy since Vint has left. It was clearly shown by Paul Twomey's and Chris Disspain's rude attitude, from their first appearance in Paris at the EGENI June 20's "user" pannel. Their "Paris Coup" broke the fragile 30 years old status quo, and as such closed the Tunis agreed transition over the Internet Legacy being managed by the USA and emergent issues at the IGF. I understand why Vint did not want to come.

The Legacy Internet is over. Paul and Chris (unbelievable "Chris' gTLD show") have boostrapped an ICANN business alternative root proposition, for an entire DNS cybersquatting. This is quite a thing because they de facto broke the JPA heading for instablity, in the hope the stability demand will favor them as a big stakeholder de facto consortium (at $ 100,000 or more the entrance fee). Before one starts questionning IPv6.

They probably bet on the pre/post presidential period to impose their new DNS order. They must now go fast, before the others reacts: this move made them abandon every legitimacy to control the dying centralised DNS.

Never mind how it will work, they have decided: the DNS _is_ already multirooted, transitionning from the NTIA legacy root to forces (of different strengths) in competition for the IANA, with internationalised or multilingualised new roots. This concerns ArgoPacific, Google, GSMA, China, Verisign, @large, TLDA, Europe, most probably the NTIA, etc... Our job now is to consider what the new equilibrium can be, and to make it happen in spite of this competition ICANN has fostered.
jfc