Re: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100,000-plus price tag

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, John Palmer <jpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100,000-plus price tag
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 15:31:14 -0700 (PDT)

John,

I don't see it that way.  Let me try to use an analogy.  There are a set of
properties that are in a poorly-trafficked side of town.  Most folks can't
easily find these properties as they are not listed in the maps (search
engines) that most people will use.  They provide some local benefit to those
that own the properties and to the limited set of neighbors that are aware of
the property locations, but as they are not situated on the main thoroughfares,
most will just pass them by without even realizing that they are there.

The owners of these properties can arrange to move these structures to the main
highway by entering into a leasehold arrangement with the highway department
(the same way that a McDonald's, for example, can occupy a prime rest stop
location along an interstate thruway).  Of course, these property owners may
have to compete with other property owners to obtain such a lease.

And yes, there are times when a major highway might pass through a minor
property development and create a loss situation for a property owner as the
highway builders exercise their eminent domain rights.  In such cases, there
are victims, and often enough such victims are not compensated.

Anyone that has watched the development plans for this highway has known that
it has been many years in the making; certainly enough time for property owners
to make their plans.

Most would say:  you can't stop the march of progress.  Most would also agree
that progress outweighs the needs of the few whose assets might be damaged.
Such is life.

Those that choose not to get out of the way of a steamroller will wind up being
crushed -- that's just the way that it is.  If you seek to grow your
properties, the consider entering into the process set up by the highway
department.  You have just as much right as anyone else to bid on a lease (and
ICANN leases are forever).  Put together a business plan and field a bid.  It's
a better option than grousing over the current situation.

regards,
Danny