Re: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100,000-plus price tag

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100,000-plus price tag
  • From: "John Palmer" <jpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:39:04 -0500

Danny -

Here is my analogy:

A small business created a product 13 years ago and while barely profitable in the best of time, it has struggled for this bakers-dozens of years to gain market share. There have been many setbacks - the trade organization that it formed with others to help bolster its position was beset with infighting and agent provocateurs (sp) planted by the Big Bad Monopoly, one of which is probably still in the trade group (I become more
convinced of that every day).

In spite of all of these problems, the little company is still in existence, albeit in stagnant market position, but still holding out some hope
that they can make it.

All of a sudden, Big Bad Monopoly, through its influence with policymakers,
etc, comes along and outright STEALS the product of the
small company and auctions it off to some of its rich fat-cat friends.

Some say, "Well why doesn't small company bid as well". Answer, why should they
have to? The business product belonged to SmallCo
in the first place - it does not belong to Big Bad Monopoly.

I am all for free and fair enterprise and free markets, but the one thing that I need to emphasize is the FAIR pat. Thats what missing. Its wrong for people to steal the property of others and pretend that they have the right to then sell it to someone else. If I stole a car from a car dealership and tried to sell it to someone else, I'd be in jail for a long time. Why should ICANN be allowed to steal the property of others and re-sell it to
the highest bidder?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>