Re: [ga] GoDaddy VP Caught Bidding Against Customers

  • To: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] GoDaddy VP Caught Bidding Against Customers
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 08:57:21 -0700 (PDT)

a follow up point -- one commentator stated on Slashdot, "Domain registrars are
all scum".

The public seems to have (1) accepted registrar abuse as an ongoing and
worsening reality, and (2) have realized that ICANN chooses to remain impotent
and will never clean up its own mess (despite its protestations to the
contrary).

Apparently, this sentiment is also shared by Afilias that has recently proposed
a New Registry Service measure that would allow it to go after "the bad guys"
in its own namespace as many in the registrar community (as well as ICANN) are
apparently incapable of doing the right thing.

Then, when you look at recent reports that indicate that 11,000 WDPRS
follow-ups for spam-abetting Chinese registrar Xin Net show that none of the
records reported for inaccuracies have been corrected, one starts getting
sickened by ICANN's lack of resolve and the prospect that ICANN's inaction will
force national regulators to step in.

At this point in time we can't afford to become complacent with regard to
continued registrar abuses unless we are looking forward to a "regulatory"
future.