Re: [ga] GoDaddy VP Caught Bidding Against Customers

  • To: dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] GoDaddy VP Caught Bidding Against Customers
  • From: "Joe Baptista" <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:34:11 -0400

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> At this point in time we can't afford to become complacent with regard to
> continued registrar abuses unless we are looking forward to a "regulatory"
> future.

I don' think we'll see a regulatory future.  What we are seeing is a
regulatory failure in progress.  The HEX experiment I conducted in the
Netherlands scared the crap out of icann.  Icann staff were busy calling
major isp networks in europe trying to convince them they not use the public
root.  Icann was laughed at.  When the turks switch over to the Hex project
root icann blew a really big fuse.  It was entertaining to watch and get the
reports.  The Hex project was well on the way to replacing icann.

Now unfortunately the project has been a financial, technical, legal,
disaster with comic overtones. Thats why I shut it down.  But the HEX
project has proved conclusively that their is a demand for TLDs.  From every
segment of the market.  Corporate, trademark, small maw and paw operations
etc.

Example the .PHILIPS TLD has been used successfully by Royal Philips
Electronics N.V. of the Netherlands internally since October of 2003.
Marketing Executive Andre Ragnetti at Philips pioneered the award winning
Simplicity strategy there was behind the project to launch the TLD.

Just imagine Danny - every light bulb having it's own domain name.  Makes it
easy to turn off the light from any place on the planet using your web
browser.  Many companies world wide already use their trademarks or brands
internally as tlds.

ICANN has no idea how big this rope is.  I don't expect ICANN will meet the
challenge.  I expect this will be seen as its last act of desperation as the
name space explodes around it and icann is retired into an implosion of
technical irrelevancy.

Regards
Joe Baptista

--