Re: [ga] A Proposal for ICANN - Will they Listen?

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Proposal for ICANN - Will they Listen?
  • From: "John Palmer" <jpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:38:02 -0500

The WorldRoot has a pretty good list: http://worldroot.net

There are some that used to be operational but are not currently operational.
There
is a debate within the TLDA (www.tldainc.org) on how to classify those TLDs
that were once operational but that now have been shut down.  You have to
remember
that ICANNs actions caused many operators to go out of business.

The TLDA operates a public discussion list that anyone can join. The archives
are
available at http://lists.tldainc.org/public

One of the missions of the TLDA is to produce what is called a "TapRoot" which
is a list of all known TLDs, including colliders. Its not meant to be used as
an operational
root zone file (since it has colliders), but at least there will be a record.

I know that the next question will be "Well, are you proposing that ICANN
should have
to respect every TLD that was ever claimed by someone, even if it isn't
operational?" and
"What list should ICANN use when deciding what TLDs require the consent of the
current
TLD holder before they will accept an application?"

Those are both good questions and require some analysis in order to be
answered. There
are, however, TLDs that ARE operational (.AMERICA, .EARTH, .LION, .USA, .Z -
those
are mine) as well as many others (.COM2, .ONLINE, .ETC, .NOT) - those are
AtlanticRoot
TLDS (Leah Gallegos) as well as some non-Profit/Private ones like .NGO, .NPO
and .BRIDGE.

We also have our own SRS type of registry system called the Inclusive Namespace
Registry
System (INRS) that has been online for over 6 years (www.adns.net is one
registrar that uses
this system).

So, while it may be something that needs to be sorted out, there are some
clear-cut cases - TLDs
that have been operational for a decade or more, in some cases.  I think it
would be a good idea
to support the TLDA in its attempt to collect all known data about all known
TLDs that are out
there. This would be a good starting point for ICANN if they were so inclined
to be fair to existing
TLD operators.

John
----- Original Message ----- From: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>