Re: [ga] GoDaddy VP Caught Bidding Against Customers

  • To: chris@xxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] GoDaddy VP Caught Bidding Against Customers
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:47:23 -0700

Chris and all,

  My response and answers to your posed questions are
interspersed below.

chris@xxxxxx wrote:

> Hypothetical situation:
>
> I own a company that sells something only to banks. I want to give my
> clients a dot bank domain name for their website for free because I think
> it's good for business. Who is qualified to tell me that . . .

No one *legally* is qualified to TELL you whether or not your business
plan is good or bad.

> 1. the tld is not needed?

I don't know.  My guess is that some banks will find a .Bank gTLD as
having some value to them.  Others will not.  Still others, and maybe most
will feel that in order to protect their reputation, feel compelled to register
whatever domain name associated with their Trade Marks and/or
copywrites the hold in order to protect their business.  Good for whomever
has .BANK operating FIRST in commerce.

> 2. my business plan for the tld is not a viable business plan?

No one.

> 3. I am not allowed to do whatever I want with the tld as long as what I do
> does not technically threaten the stability of the Internet?

Of course, and as long in advance ( referring to grandfather statutes )
you can show and have .Bank in operation FIRST.

  Let the gTLD and IDN gTLD land rush commence!  >:)  I am sure that
the IP lawyers are salivating and rubbing their hands together in glee at the
upcoming
opportunities!  >:)

> Chris McElroy

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827