Re[2]: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100, 000-plus price tag

  • To: Karl Peters - TLDA <tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, *ICANN GA List <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re[2]: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100, 000-plus price tag
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 04:36:14 +0200

At 03:27 30/06/2008, Karl Peters - TLDA wrote:

Mr. Gaetano,                        (ICANN)
This means the object lesson worked, to some degree, at least. You would not sign his name on your e-mails because you know that would be confusing and even be consodered as theft of his personal product or identity, right? Great! Can ICANN learn this lesson BEFORE they auction off known colliding TLDs?

Actually his reasons for not to be confused with me may be different :-) but never mind, the important point is confusion. I suppose Roberto grasps it. Now, the problem is that we are at an equilibrium because all the actors are agreeing to respect the status quo. For example, threre is a long time the Internet would not work properly if spammers could not use it. They would retaliate.

My real fear is that ICANN engages itself in a TLD war by ignorance while it seems it does not understand well how the DNS works. I am afraid because it is certainly difficult and costly to build a TLD, but it is so easy to destroy it. When you think it took six months or so, to discover that someone took the ICANN former root server address and resolved ....

They are lawyers, diplomats, politicians, etc. not DNS operators. Happily, their slowlyness and money greed will delay the things and potect the internet in the meabwhile. IMHO when they start collecting the TLD projects' money the network will have changed. If they do not make too much errors, their move can even help keeping the market quite and protect us when introducing gcTLDs (geocultural suffixes).

jfc