RE: Re[2]: [ga] domain tastinmg comments

  • To: "'Karl Peters - TLDA'" <tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: [ga] domain tastinmg comments
  • From: Shane Kinsch <shane.kinsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:10:27 -0500

“What other mechanism would allow for this without actually registering the
domain for a year?  Please also answer my challenge about a company that
actually tasted hundreds of domains for their own end use and decided in a few
days which ones were not needed.”

There is no other mechanism for people to do this and I doubt anything is
documented about a company that has sampled hundreds of domains for their own
use, but it’s possible.  One purpose of the AGP is for the Registrars to recoup
their expenses from a fraudulent or wrong registration.  This was open-ended
and allowed for mass abuse.  Therefore, limiting the number of free-ride drops
needs to be changed to a low percentage.  That way, as stated before, will take
care of Registrars, like myself, who does not want to eat the cost of a perp
who registers 100 names on a stolen credit card.

Shane