RE: [ga] domain tastinmg comments

  • To: jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] domain tastinmg comments
  • From: Shane Kinsch <shane.kinsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:29:02 -0500

Karl, et. al,

In regards to the real-world example, I missed a zero…  Sorry.      The total
cost for the trial for sampling 4,500,000 domains in 1 Quarter is:

4,500,000 registered for 5 days

80% are dropped leaving 90,000 registered at $6.70

3,600,000 dropped (- 1% given for grace leaving 3,564,000 fined  [I left off a
zero])

Total registration fee: $6.70 x 90,000 domains registered (which are calculated
to just barely break even or come ahead a bit to cover this fee) is $603,000

Total overage fee for dropped domains: 3,564,000 dropped at $0.20/each =
$712,800 per quarter.

Multiply all that by 4 = $2,851,200 in overage FINES per year.

Basically, you RISK $2,851,200 in FINES (overage) and $2,412,000 in
REGISTRATION fees (Verisign).  This is not a difference between the two but out
of pocket $5,263,200 per year.  Also keep in mind that $2,412,000 in
registration fees are just barely being covered by your estimates of the number
of clicks calculated to cover that cost on a yearly basis.  Therefore, you
break even on the $2,412,000/year.  Wouldn’t it be better to put $5,263,200
into something that returned at least 7%/year?   Generic Domain tasting never
really seems feasible on a grand scale unless the names made more than 8% over
costs, etc. on a yearly basis which leads to the point that they probably will
drop even more names.

In general, you pay a fine of $2,851,200 just to sample 18,000,000 domain names
in a year and keep only the ones that barely pay for themselves.  That’s not
good business sense anyway you look at it.  I would estimate a much higher drop
rate such as 90+%.

If ICANN would enact a penalty as such, that anything over a nominal percentage
is charged $0.20/drop would take care of this and everyone else.  The legit
registrars are happy and the tasters/kiters will go away.  It’s not feasible
for them to keep operating.

Karl – as far as what you went through, that’s a whole difference scenario and
Is really a scam in that aspect, but easy to fulfill.  The scammer will just
search the .org/.net database, index it, and compare any existing registered
.net/.org domains and register the corresponding .com (as in your case).  Send
out an automatic email stating that they want to sell you the domain and charge
you a hideous fee ($295) for the services.  I personally don’t see that as
‘tasting’ but on the lines of extorting.  Tasting is where the perp samples the
traffic and keeps it if they see it valuable.  Its one thing whether or not
they contact you.  If they register and ‘taste’ it vs. register and ‘extort’ it
are two different birds.

Shane