Re: [ga] Investigating a RUMF? (was IDN issues (was: On Elections))

  • To: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Investigating a RUMF? (was IDN issues (was: On Elections))
  • From: "James S. Tyre" <jstyre@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 17:59:34 -0700

At 12:10 AM 10/7/2007 +0200, JFC Morfin wrote:

On 20:23 06/10/2007, Andy Gardner said:
On Oct 6, 2007, at 7:54 AM, Debbie Garside wrote:
What a shame JFC that you continue to cybersquat wldc.org

That's what the UDRP process is for, apparently. Use it, if you want
to start throwing around the "cybersquatting" word.

This is a very sensible advice. Thank you.for reminding us.

Now, if I am correct an UDRP costs around $ 4500? This is an amount most of us could not pay should we legitimately need it. Could we investigate a Registrant UDRP Mutual Fund (RUMF)?

When someone thinks he is entitled to UDRP someone else and has not the money for it, she could document her claim and send it to the Fund's experts. The Fund would decide if the case can win and would pay for the UDRP. This would increase the credibility of the DNS. This could be something for a new IDNO like proposition, if Roberto's proposition goes through?

This fund could be filled with meny coming UDRP fees. It is likely that accepted files could be negociated without UDRP reducing the total UDRP cost.

(I express no opinion, and do not know nearly enough to have an opinion, on who is in the right between you and Debbie viz wldc.org.)

Both of you are in the right in noting that many individuals, and many small non profits, simply cannot afford UDRP. But why condition the right to URDP on someone's pre-judgment of whether the Complainant is or may be in the right? If Jefsey's fund, or some other hypothetical body, makes the determination solely on what the complainant submits, then the entity is making a decision with one arm tied behind its back. If the other side gets a chance to respond, then that increases time and cost.

At least here in the U.S., courts have mechanisms for allowing Plaintiffs to proceed in forma pauperis (for free) that, generally, do not involve a predetermination (even preliminarily) of the outcome. Rather, the dominant consideration, unless the matter is completely frivolous, is Plaintiff's financial resources.

Granted, UDRP providers, unlike courts, are not public entities. But could not ICANN impose such a requirement on them? And if ICANN can, is it a good idea? (I just thought of it myself, based on the exchange between Jefsey and Debbie. The idea of prejudging the merits as a condition of financial relief gives me pause, but is entirely possible that there are problems with my idea that I've not yet thought through.)

James S. Tyre                                      jstyre@xxxxxxxxxx
Law Offices of James S. Tyre          310-839-4114/310-839-4602(fax)
10736 Jefferson Blvd., #512               Culver City, CA 90230-4969
Co-founder, The Censorware Project             http://censorware.net
Policy Fellow, Electronic Frontier Foundation     http://www.eff.org