Re: [registrars] Motion on Travel Funding

On 11-Dec-07, at 11:19 AM, Adrian Kinderis wrote:

We, as representatives to the Council are just getting used to this idea of presenting things to the Constituency... it is a pretty new concept.

As a side note, I'd say that we have a great track record of consulting with our members. Our website doesn't really reflect this, but there are a great volume of position papers and votes going back to the founding days that show the extent to which our elected representatives have involved the constituency membership in fundamental decisions. Of course, not every question is vetted by the constituency, but the practice has typically been to ensure that our reps solicit and understand the general position of the constituency before trying to advocate it (i.e with Whois, there was not only an initial assessment of the constituency position dating back to 2000 or thereabouts, but also several checkpoints along the way. I would also say that tracking the real position became very difficult in the last year because it seemed to become very fragmented in my estimation - i.e., there were probably 5-6 positions that had varying degrees of support within the constituency and few of them were consistent with each other, or the general direction of the then current policy discussion...)

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services
t. 416.538.5492
c. 416.828.8783
http://www.domaindirect.com

"To solve the problems of today, we must focus on tomorrow."
- Erik Nupponen