Re: [registrars] Motion on Travel Funding

On 11-Dec-07, at 9:41 AM, Adrian Kinderis wrote:

You are right it is not mutually exclusive but it creates the impression
to the Constituency that the matter is closed. C'mon Ross you know how
it works.

I just don't want to stifle any opinions.

I am not after any specific feedback. As you know I am merely here as a
Representative that will vigorously present the views of the
Constituency to the Council :)

What creates the impression to the Constituency that the matter is closed is when our Councillors advocate positions that they haven't vetted with the constituency.

For instance, Phillip Sheppard recently proposed that ICANN fund travel for Councilors. For those of you that may not know, Philip is the GNSO councillor from the Business Constituency. He is employed by AIMs whose membership includes "...1800 companies of all sizes through corporate members and national associations in 21 countries. These companies are mostly active in everyday consumer goods. They employ some two million workers and account for over 350 billion Euro in annual sales in Europe alone. " It does not seem to me that Philip needs travel funding. However, in response to his proposal, our councillors responded:

"I agree. Seems the same level and conditions as for Board members would make sense." - Tim Ruiz, GoDaddy [Ross: This means business class travel and 7 days worth of accomodations, plus a daily stipend for meals and miscellaneous.]

"I agree with [covering the travel costs of those expected to participate in policy meetings.]" - Tom Keller, 1and1

"Yes! [It is] Definitely a good idea to press this issue." - Adrian Kinderis, AusRegistry

The day after these statements were made to the GNSO Council, you asked us for feedback. Isn't this a little backward? Shouldn't you ask us these questions before you take a position on our behalf?

My motion is simply a response to the statements that you've already made. This is precisely why I included the "insulting" language specifically requesting that our representatives advocate our position, should this motion pass. I don't think that a basic level of accountability is too much to ask for.

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services
t. 416.538.5492
c. 416.828.8783
http://www.domaindirect.com

"To solve the problems of today, we must focus on tomorrow."
- Erik Nupponen