RE: [registrars] Variations on the current domain name model - proposed registrar workshop for Luxembourg

  • To: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ross Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Variations on the current domain name model - proposed registrar workshop for Luxembourg
  • From: "Mitchell, Champ" <Cmitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 11:29:03 -0400
  • Cc: <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>, <faure@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

With due respect to Ross, I do not see our bylaws or website as "burning
priority issues". I can agree that whois and transfers are probably more
important to us than this. However, don't you think that the diminution
in threads per registrar and the whole game of creating registrars for
no reason other than to get more threads, often jut to lease them, is a
direct result of the grace period? I do. If they couldn't use the grace
period in an unintended and inappropriate manner to avoid cost and risk,
they would not do hundreds of thousands of registrations with the
intention to keep only the small fraction that appear profitable. Even
more abusive is the register, delete, reregister scam --- and scam is
what it is. Inevitably this impacts all legitimate registrars.

Ross, I would never claim to be as knowledgeable as you about the
intricacies of the domain registration system, but over 30 years of
experience has taught me that when one of my suppliers is slammed, I
always end up paying part of the cost.

I completely agree with you that the registries, particularly VeriSign,
have the power to have addressed this long ago and have failed to act.
Frankly, I don't understand why, although I have heard its rationale.
Clearly you are right that they should take the lead. However, this does
not change the fact that ultimately the legitimate registrars suffer
from this conduct and, if as it appears on its face, this is an abuse
that can be easily corrected, it would seem that we should support a
correction.  Best, Champ

W. G. Champion Mitchell
Chairman & CEO
Network Solutions Inc.