Re: [ga] specific statements concerning the technical failure of ICANN

Prophet Partners Inc. wrote:

Hi Joe,

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't publicly disclosing the root logs and traffic stats be akin to opening up Pandora's box? There are currently huge problems associated with domain tasting. I could only imagine that arming the domain tasters with such information would greatly magnify domain.tasting problems.

That could be a problem with the logs. Not to mention privacy violations. However I don't think the logs would provide much valuable details to the domain tasting crowd. Since the root server only deals with TLDs the logs could be indicative of popularity in TLDs. But actual domain names - not sure if they will show up. The root servers only provide NS , A and AAAA resource records for TLD name servers and not much else.

Privacy is a major concern with respect to these logs. The root server would record the origin of each query. Thats a privacy issue. In fact one that was inadvertintly broken during the only analysis of logs ever conducted by CAIDA - which I mention in the article.

Analysis of root traffic however is critical to an educated policy making group. Analysis reports don't run the risk of helping the domain testing crowd or if properly prepaired violate any privacy issues/laws. Analysis resports on root server traffic are a very good idea who's time is long overdue.

As for the logs, there should be an icann approved repository for these logs. They are invaluable today to network engineers and scientists and have immense archival value to future historians who will study the growth of the internet and reveal how much damage organizations like icann have caused same due to simple ignorance of not knowing thier contents as these logs reflect directly on icann policies.

cheers
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista                                www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium

begin:vcard
fn:Joe Baptista
n:Baptista;Joe
org:PublicRoot Consortium
adr:;;963 Ford Street;Peterborough;Ontario;K9J 5V5 ;Canada
email;internet:baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:PublicRoot Representative
tel;fax:+1 (509) 479-0084
tel;cell:+1 (416) 912-6551