Re: [ga] specific statements concerning the technical failure of ICANN

Debbie Garside wrote:

Hi Joe

Thanks for the history and your personal comments but I think we need to
move forward now.

We are moving forward Debbie.  On a wing and a prayer.

It is my opinion that we cannot run until we have walked. To this end it is
better for the GA to remain under the umbrella of the GNSO.

I disagree. We have been walking for at least a solid decade here at the GA. Years of organizational attempts, many of which were successful - i.e. the election of Karl Auerbach is one good example - have been rejected one way or another by the ICANN powers that be. Now it is my intention to bring to this place the necessary momentum to make a difference. Even if that difference is standing up and officially rejecting the GNSO or ICANN itself. As a body we have that power.

I am not advocating that we exercise that power. I am advocating a gentle reminder that the option exists and should be exercised if necessary.

When we have
proved ourselves as a professional body that can behave in a professional
manner providing professional comment and when we are accepted by the GNSO
as such, we can petition ICANN for the GA to become an Independent body.

If you want to go through the motions - I'm 100% behind you. I don't like the nonsense of going cap in hand to ICANN for permission - but if that will keep the familia happy - i'm 100% behind you.

With the list rules in place, perhaps now we can get down to formulating
some useful, professional comments on how policy can be created and updated
to the betterment of ICANN and the services they provide to the stakeholders
and end users.

I think there is very little competence here or anywhere else in ICANN for policy making. As clearly pointed out in my summary of the technical disaster ICANN has made of the Internet shows there is little to no understanding of the technical issues behind the root. One thing that should be pushed for is the making public of root logs or traffic analysis. I bet only a handful of people on the GA even know what those statistics are? Once the GA and other policy bodies of ICANN can look at those root analysis - only then will the commons be properly informed on the technical side of this disaster to make effective policy. Until then the song three blind mice is appropriate to almost all policy making.

I look forward to your professional and reasonable monitoring of the list.

That will be assured. I wait patiently as the list rules get their blessing from the powers that be.

amen
joe baptista

Best regards

Debbie