Re: [ga] Rate Reduction

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Rate Reduction
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:50:17 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Debbie and all,

  Here we tend to agree, except that ICANN set the price for becoming
a TLD registry, so they should at least be able to cost justify that
entry cost, don't you think?  Secondly, how does your thought
stand against ICANN's negotiated agreement with Verisign regarding
.com pricing vs redelegating .org and .net?

  And yes, I agree this whole mess is NOW a can or worms
indeed!  No matter what new or changed decision is made to
attempt to rectify the TLD delegation or redeligation, someone's
ox is going to get gored.  What's important is that registrants nor
users are those ox's.

Debbie Garside wrote:

>  Hi Danny
>
> If I was ICANN I would steer as far away from this sort of study as
> possible.  What a can of worms.  I am thinking of situations like .cat.
> Such a study could raise questions like does ICANN have any responsibility
> for TLD's that are subsequently split thus effecting the economics for the
> TLD Management company?  Could the holders of the .cat (Catalan) TLD, for
> instance, hold ICANN responsible for loss of business if .vac (Valencian) is
> registered as a TLD?  ICANN should not be involved in the economics of the
> situation, they should issue TLD's based on written rules and precedents.
> The only question pertaining to economics and TLD's that should concern
> ICANN is whether they are pricing some countries out of the market if it
> costs (say) £100k to gain control of a TLD.   Just a few uninformed thoughts
> - no doubt you can tell me where I am going wrong and why this study would
> help anyone :-)
>
> Best
>
> Debbie

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827