Re: [ga] Rate Reduction

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Rate Reduction
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:53:19 -0700
  • Cc: icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all,

  Yes I read this resolution yesterday so glad you brought it
up today.  I did a search on ICANN's web site and could
not find any documentation on any study on this.  Hence
I wonder, 1.) was such a review/study ever done, and
2.) if one was done, is it that the ICANN staff have not
yet, a year later, not posted it?

Danny Younger wrote:

> Eric,
>
> We have discussed the issue of a "study" previously.
> Perhaps you recall the Board Resolution of 18 October
> 2006:
>
> Resolved (06.___), the President is directed to
> commission an independent study by a reputable
> economic consulting firm or organization to deliver
> findings on economic questions relating to the
> domain registration market, such as:
>
> * whether the domain registration market is one market
> or whether each TLD functions as a separate market,
>
> * whether registrations in different TLDs are
> substitutable,
>
> * what are the effects on consumer and pricing
> behavior of the switching costs involved in moving
> from one TLD to another,
>
> * what is the effect of the market structure and
> pricing on new TLD entrants,
>
> and
>
> * whether there are other markets with similar issues,
> and if so how are these issues addressed and by who?
>
> Perhaps someone on the Board or Staff can give us an
> update regarding the status of this Economic Study?
>

> --- Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > You are saying that it is akin to raising your
> > prices one week so you can have a sale the next? Has
> > anyone done an 800K study on the industry
> > declination of costs? Clearly it is a macro economic
> > fact. But generally we see non responsiveness to
> > actual costs in cartels.

> Got a little couch potato?
> http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827