Re: [ga] GA list and the GNSO council

  • To: "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] GA list and the GNSO council
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:34:14 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Debbie and all,

  Well we will have to agree to disagree here.  Giving a long
winded politically/correct oriented answer to a simple
request is hiding something, which is VERY unprofessional IMHO.
As I was taught in law school, brevity, brevity, always brevity!

  Of course marketing, sales, policy wonks, and other assorted
political gad fly folks, are prone to these types of answers.
When I even begin to hear them from any of my companies
providers, I routinely through them out of my office, call security
and have them escorted off the premises post haste, and call their
boss and tell him/her bluntly "never send that person to any of
our facilities ever again."

  And when I request something from either of my daughters,
they both know, and have been taught in private school already,
to give a simple yes or no, and if no and a explanation is in
order or they feel strongly it is necessary, they are to give
as brief an explanation as possible which is direct and simple.
I believe at Oxford this same principal is also taught in
Interpersonal Communication.

Debbie Garside wrote:

> Hi Jeff
>
> I have to agree with Chuck on this, I think Avril's mail was perfectly clear
> and polite in saying that the GNSO Council list is for members, liaisons and
> staff only. To write "NO" as Joe suggested (consider yourself told off Joe -
> shame on you as List Monitor) would be quite unprofessional IMHO.  I would
> not start a response in that way and do not expect others to display what I
> would call such unprofessional behaviour - it ain't cricket m'dear!
>
> I also think that if this group wishes to be taken seriously they/we should
> accept such explanations gracefully.  Do you really think the GNSO Council
> could wade through the volumes of mail posted to it if it was open house!
>
> I also think that Danny is right in his (subsequent) response.  There needs
> to be a mechanism for "real/important" information to be conveyed to the
> GNSO Council.  However, as Avril also stated, that unofficial) mechanism is
> somewhat in place, it's just that the message is invariably lost in the
> noise*; a number of members of the Council, ICANN Board and ICANN Staff
> monitor this list.  The way it should work, IMHO, is if the Chair perceives
> consensus from the members of this forum on an issue of import he can inform
> the members of the Council/Board/Staff.
>
> Whilst on this subject, members of this list should go through the Chair -
> that is what they are for.   It is quite unnecessary to copy the board/staff
> into various mails and it just waters down any issues of importance the
> Chair may raise on this groups behalf.
>
> If you/we could just clean up our act, devise the rules and regulations for
> contribution to this list (and stick to them) we might find we MAY be taken
> seriously and have significant input as an expert body.  I keep saying this
> and you are not listening.  If I cannot keep up with the volume of emails I
> don't see how any other professional can.
>
> I call upon the Chair and the List Monitor to bring this forum to order.
> (Please :-))  Let us try to find order within chaos and a way around this
> hermeneutic circle.
>
> Best
>
> Debbie
> *Shannon and Weaver as applied to human communication

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827