Re: [ga] More thoughts on a Registrants Constituency

  • To: "Karl Auerbach" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] More thoughts on a Registrants Constituency
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:20:08 -0500
  • Cc: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is definitely an issue for a lot of discussion. The voting issues need to be debated fairly heavily in my opinion. Here are some thoughts.

First to get people to join and stay interested in the process, we need to catch them when they register their domain name. If we wait a year, they may no longer have interest in the process. It's simple marketing/ MSN.com is set as people's home page when they get their first computer for example. Many stay there due to that being their first home page. If microsoft waited until one year was past to ask users to make msn their home page, I'd have more traffic than MSN does.

Second, we aren't giving domain names a vote in my opinion, we are giving people who own domain names a vote. If we base any of the voting power or rights on formulas that involve the number of domain names owned, the length of time registered, etc. we stand more chance of capture by people who know how to manipulate formulas. What other parameters would be put up for consideration? How about my domain name gets a million hits per year and yours gets 100 so I should get more votes. My domain is more important to me than yours is to you. When we introduce parameters like you suggested, then others may think other parameters should apply, ones that benefit them.

I believe one person or organization = one vote. Now we still stand the chance of capture even with that. IBM has a lot of subsidiaries and can create as many as they want on paper. They could take a domain name and transfer it's ownership to each entity and therefore have a ton of votes. If that became standard practice by a few, they could have much more weight than they should.

Maybe there would need to be an approval process where these capture attempts could be sniffed out. Like to hear what others think on that.

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic
http://www.articlecontentprovider.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Auerbach" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>